Support for 8192

rtl-wifi
2008-12-18
2013-05-02
  • Patrick LeBoutillier

Hi,

I just bought a USB WLAN Adapter that is recognised as such under Fedora 10:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8192 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 

Is there any chance of getting your driver to work with this device? If so, can anyone offer a bit of advice?

Thanks a lot,

Patrick

• Rick Troth

Rick Troth - 2010-11-22

Wow … two years down the road someone else is looking for 8192 support.

So I got a shiny new TP 410.  My teammate got the same machine.  We both dispensed with Windows and installed Linux.  His will do WiFi; mine will not.  SOMEHOW he noticed the INTeL WiFi option and selected that when we ordered the machines.  I didn't.  Frankly, I would not have known to prefer the INTeL chipset versus RealTek.

Anyway … the 818x driver will simply not work with this beast.  Guys, I am available to crunch on the code, recompile, hack it, whatever, but I would need guidance.  (Might be wise to not fork the project, unless someone smarter than I am looks it over and says that's a good idea.)

• R;

• Rick Troth

Rick Troth - 2010-11-26

So it seems that most users of the 8192 interface are using the driver supplied by RealTek.  I found instructions on the web for building it.  After having to man-handle the NetworkManager widget and other automation to clue-in that the NIC was live, it does in fact connect.  But it is buggy.  I can see why the Linux distros for the most part do not include it.

• R;

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks