ctags

Help
2005-09-16
2013-05-28
  • Darryl Wagoner

Darryl Wagoner - 2005-09-16

This seems like a great tool, but I been able to get Exuberant Ctags to work.

I am using:

RText 0.9.2.6.20050915

Exuberant Ctags 5.5.4, Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Darren Hiebert
      Compiled: Sep 16 2005, 13:13:31

Java:
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_04-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

Any ideas

Darryl WA1GON

• Robert Futrell

Robert Futrell - 2005-09-18

Hi Darryl,

Could you please give me a little more information?  How is it "not working?"  Does the source browser give you the message "ctags executable not found"?

Please double-check that you have specified the location of the ctags executable correctly in the Options dialog.  If you have, please reply with a detailed description of the failure, maybe OS information, and we can track this problem down.

Thanks,

Robert

• Darryl Wagoner

Darryl Wagoner - 2005-09-19

I did have intial problems with "ctags executable not found", but it was fairly clear to me what that meant, but was quite as clear on how to solve it.  Then I found that I need a special version of ctags, got that and installed it.  Then it seems to work except all of the nodes (Classes, Macros, Functions, etc) has zero for the number.  I get the same results with java source files as well.

I have tried it on both XP and Mandrake Linux 10.1.

thanks
      Darryl

• Robert Futrell

Robert Futrell - 2005-09-20

Aah, you're right.  ctags support seems to be broken in 0.9.2.6.  I'll file a bug report and have it fixed in the next release.

Thanks for finding this!