RSSOwl Cache mechanism

Developers
Eran Levy
2007-03-14
2012-08-29
  • Eran Levy

Eran Levy - 2007-03-14

I was trying to read the threads that talking about the %cache% in RSSOwl but couldn't find the answer to my question.

Can you provide more information about the Cache mechanism in RSSOwl? When a user right-click a feed item and click on "Reload News", what's happening in the background (I understand from the code that you remove the unique URL from the Hashtable, but doesn't delete the file)?

If a user clicked on "Reload News" and received the "Authentication Failed" message, how much time does he need to wait for the next try? It seems like you need to wait 2~ minutes (maybe for cache reasons), try to click on "Reload News" and if the authentication succeeds, RSSOwl will reload all news from the selected feed.

Thanks
    Eran

• Eran Levy

Eran Levy - 2007-03-14

solved. But if you will provide me with this information(above), it will help alot to understand the "big picture".
      Thanks

• Benjamin Pasero

Benjamin Pasero - 2007-03-14

First of all, the "cache" in RSSOwl 1.x is not very smart :). Thats one reason why we moved over to use a real DB in RSSOwl 2.x. The cache is held entirely in memory (feeds are added to memory on first access) and backed by the file system.

If a feed requires authentication you dont have to wait at all to try again. RSSOwl should immediately use the supplied credentials. Anything else is a bug.

• Eran Levy

Eran Levy - 2007-03-14

Thank you and good luck.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks