Questions as Google Reader disappears...

Help
2013-03-14
2013-06-08
  • Charles Cameron

Charles Cameron - 2013-03-14

Since Google Reader is shutting down and RSSOwl will be many people's choice to replace it, you might want to post something specifically addressing how to ensure RSSOwl continues to function without Reader -- at the moment, your help section is all about synchronizing the two, but synchronizing with something that disappears doesn't sound like a great idea!

If I have synchronized to RSSOwl, can I now safely remove Google Reader knowing that RSSOwl will still have all my feeds intact?

Please, as you write whatever you write about this, remember to write for the non-tech-savvy folks who love RSS but don't always know tech terminology...

• Anonymous - 2013-03-14

I've been trying for the last several hours to do the Google Reader Synch (which does a lovely import, even saving my starred items as stickies :) and then break the Synch with zero luck.

No setting I can see for it either in the preferences or properties and as soon as the Reader Password is removed it prompts me for it mercilessly. Started digging into the .rssowl2 directories but that was a quick trip down the rabbit hole seemingly full of more binary files than text.

The export from google reader is only available through "google takeout" now and it no longer exports opml files either. It's an xml file for subscriptions (which does import) and a bunch of json files for starred, notes, liked, etc. (which don't behave as expected when trying to import them).

I am desperately looking to jump ship early and this is looking very promising except for this problem. I surely hope someone addresses it.

• Anonymous - 2013-03-14

No worries, please keep in mind that GR will still run until summer. I plan to post on rssowl.org soon. Stay tuned.

• Anonymous - 2013-03-14

• Anonymous - 2013-03-15

Google itself limits to 1000 news per feed, there is nothing RSSOwl can do about it.

• Ness Uno

Ness Uno - 2013-03-15

False. With Google Reader you can download even one billion of items for the same feed.
    Search google for "continuation parameter".

• Anonymous - 2013-03-15

Hm, ok maybe I am wrong. But I think 1000 is the limit you can get for one feed load. The way RSSOwl works is that it expects all news to be in the feed for one request. I also think that labels, flags and unread count are not synced over more than 1000 news.

• Ness Uno

Ness Uno - 2013-03-15

Yes, you are right. If a user needs to archive all the feed items he has to do it outside RSSOwl using Google.

• Gerald Cox

Gerald Cox - 2013-03-15

Understood. Do you know how to get the feeds from Google. Looks like the Google Takeout export only gives you the subscriptions, not the data within them...

• Omid

Omid - 2013-03-15

I think it will be helpful to look at two issues independently at this point.

• How does one use RSSOwl after syncing with Google Reader and removing the password without being nagged about the "missing password"? (This looks like a bug that could be removed.)
      This is of importance with or without Google Reader shutting down, as users might just want to migrate to RSSOwl, complete with their subscriptions, starred items, etc.

• After Google pulls the plug on its Reader, how does one get some sort of syncing with RSSOwl? The answer to this is easier in the sense that, apart from what RSSOwl team could probably come up with (which will be appreciated), the users can do it their way, maybe by using cloud storage services (e.g., the free software based ownCloud) for syncing read items info between machines. In fact, ownCloud offers an internal feed reader that has been designed to be similar to Google Reader so this question might be considered solved in that sense. However, I for one prefer to have a local reader, too, so the answer to the first question remains of interest regardless of this fact.

• Anonymous - 2013-03-15

Yes, I think it boils down to two options which maybe both should be provided. One option is to just have a way to convert all synced feeds to normal feeds and continue using them in RSSOwl without GR, however this means loosing synchronization. The other option is to simply connect all subscriptions to another sync service like feedly. I think as a user I would much more go for the solution that gives me continuous synchronization with a service that all others adopt. At this time, I would like to wait to see which sync service is accepted by most apps.

• Anonymous - 2013-03-15

Hi Benjamin,
      How can we sync feedly with RSSOwl?

• Anonymous - 2013-03-16

Yes, ideally feedly would actually allow you to import from Google Reader, I think that would make a lot of sense for them to support. This is nothing RSSOwl should provide imho.

Last edit: Anonymous 2013-03-16
    • Waquesseix

Waquesseix - 2013-05-15

Google Reader is shutting down on July 1. Do you plan to implement synchronization to Feedly?

• josh

josh - 2013-05-01

Any updates on this? Please add a command to import old feed items stored in json files to RSSOWl.

• josh

josh - 2013-05-02

@genodeftest: I don't have the skills to implement that feature, I'm afraid. But I hope someone has. If there was an easy way to import feed items to RSSOwl from the json files from the google reader takeout zip RSSOwl could get an influx of new users who are currently looking around for a way to migrate data (not only their feed list).

• Marc

Marc - 2013-05-07

Right now it appears the only way is to manually backup feed item data?
    Search for "Backup more than 1000 starred items"

Last edit: Marc 2013-05-07
  • josh

josh - 2013-05-08

Marc, did you reply to me? If so, can you explain a bit more what you mean. I can't find a any post in the RSSOwl forum using that searchphrase. I also already have rss items backed up from google reader. I am only looking for a way to import all those items into a standalone copy of RSS Owl for searching even after google reader shuts down.

If someone reading this has knowledge about the database format used by RSSOwl and has some thoughts on ways to do a manual one time import from the google reader json files then please post.

• genodeftest

genodeftest - 2013-05-17

RSSOwl uses db4o as Database software. All relevant code should be in the org.rssowl.core.persist and org.rssowl.core.internal.persist packages, see https://github.com/bpasero/rssowl-target/ for details on source code and hacking on RSSOwl.

• wolfgang-362

wolfgang-362 - 2013-06-07

Three weeks left 'til shutdown - are there plans to implement sync with feedly or newsblur API?

• Waquesseix

Waquesseix - 2013-06-08

There seems to be no plan. Probably nobody is trying.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks