Can't get RSSowl to run on Java 6 SE

Help
2006-03-01
2012-08-29
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Install Beta Java SE 6 Mustang and RSSOwl seaced to run. When I try
    "c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\jre\bin\java.exe" -jar -Djava.library.path="c:\Program Files (x86)\RSSOwl" "c:\Program Files (x86)\RSSOwl\rssowl.jar" it gives me

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files (x86
    )\RSSOwl\swt-win32-3224.dll: %1 is not a valid Win32 application

What to do? I'm using Windows XP x64 Pro. Installed latest http://www.rssowl.org/dl/Integration_Build/rssowl_2006_02_26_1_2_1_win32_bin.zip

• Nobody/Anonymous

Double clicking the JAR works fine, after I setted rightly the JAVA_HOME but your experiment crashes, I copy here the console ejecution because maybe it is usefull for someone

C:\Documents and Settings\mrocafull>set JAVA_HOME=C:\Archivos de programa\Java\j
      re1.5.0_09

C:\Documents and Settings\mrocafull>"C:\Archivos de programa\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bi
      n\java.exe" -jar "C:\Archivos de programa\rssowl_1_2_3_win32_bin\rssowl.jar" -Dj
      ava.library.path="C:\Archivos de programa\rssowl_1_2_3_win32_bin\rssowl.jar"
      Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no swt-win32-3235 in
      java.library.path
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
      at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:123)
      at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.<clinit>(OS.java:18)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:125)
      at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.RSSOwlLoader.<init>(Unknown Source)

at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.RSSOwlLoader.main(Unknown Source)

• Anonymous - 2006-12-12

Sorry my console command was wrong, try this instead:

C:\Archivos de programa\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\java.exe" -jar "C:\Archivos de programa\rssowl_1_2_3_win32_bin\rssowl.jar" -Djava.library.path="C:\Archivos de programa\rssowl_1_2_3_win32_bin\

• Nobody/Anonymous

C:\&gt;"C:\Archivos de programa\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\java.exe" -jar "C:\Archivos de
      programa\rssowl_1_2_3_win32_bin\rssowl.jar" -Djava.library.path="C:\Archivos de
      programa\rssowl_1_2_3_win32_bin\&quot;
      java.library.path

• Anonymous - 2006-12-14

Weird. Is there a particular reason why you make this call so complicated? What about changing the directory into "C:\Archivos de programa\rssowl_1_2_3_win32_bin" and calling

"java -jar rssowl.jar" ?

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

As I said "Double clicking the JAR works fine, after I setted rightly the JAVA_HOME but ..."

I'm not interested in doing this call so complicated. This thread started with a someone's problem with Java 6 but I got the same in Java 5 then I thought I could be a tester to check if this error is worst (problematic in very machines) than it appears or which could be the problem in the installer because it doesn´t do the work right.

• Anonymous - 2006-03-01

RSSOwl is not running on Win 64 bit yet.

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

Stupid question: Have you tried installing Eclipse and running Eclipse?

Same results: Problem with SWT.
        Different results: Problem with path and/or classpath.

• Nobody/Anonymous

OK. Tried Eclipse 3.1 of June 2005

for me "Same results: Problem with SWT."
          Now what?

Beginning of log

!SESSION 2006-03-02 20:25:56.146 -----------------------------------------------
          eclipse.buildId=I20050627-1435
          java.version=1.6.0-beta
          java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
          BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=ru_RU
          Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2006-03-02 20:25:59.490
          !MESSAGE Application error
          !STACK 1
          java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files (x86)\Authoring\eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\70\1.cp\swt-win32-3138.dll: %1 is not a valid Win32 application

Full log here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0QTLL5LI

• Anonymous - 2006-03-02

So it does run with Java 5 but does not run with Java 6. That makes it look like a Java Bug to me actually.

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

But Java is running. Isn't RSSOwl a Java application? ;-)

And BTW, it WAS running perfectly for me on Win x64 with java 1.5.4 till I unistalled it to install Java 6 Beta

• Anonymous - 2006-03-01

Hm thats interesting, I mean RSSOwl is a Java-App, but it loads native libraries, DLLs in this case, to render the GUI. And these are not compiled for 64 bits.

I might be wrong and for DLLs its not a problem, if they run on a Windows 32 or 64 bit. For linux, I know that the native libs have to be recompiled in order to use them in 64 bit environments.

I would say that maybe in this case, Java 6 is requiring the native library to be compiled for 64 bits? This could also be a bug in Java 6.

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

Don't you have any frind who possess Win x64 XP rig? Maybe on some Linux' fans forums or java.sun.com/forums some got dual boot systems? To confirm or deny a bug, I mean

• Nobody/Anonymous

Just unzipped, rssowl.exe gave me the standard error "Could not launch RSSOwl. Please refer to INSTALLL.txt" then I've tried to launch it manually, and I got the same error, BUT I have not Java 6

• Command Line ----------------------------------------
        C:\Documents and Settings\mrocafull>"C:\Archivos de programa\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bi
        n\java.exe" -jar "C:\Archivos de programa\rssowl_1_2_3_win32_bin\rssowl.jar"
        java.library.path

• Anonymous - 2006-12-04

Please try this:

"C:\Archivos de programa\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\java.exe" -jar "C:\Archivos de programa\rssowl_1_2_3_win32_bin\rssowl.jar" -Djava.library.path="C:\Archivos de programa\rssowl_1_2_3_win32_bin\rssowl.jar"

Please make sure that JAVA_HOME is set as environment-variable on Windows. This
        is what rssowl.exe is looking after in order to execute Java.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks