Login to the RSS Stream of Mediawiki

Help
david
2012-08-13
2012-08-29
  • david

david - 2012-08-13

In Mediawiki (The Software which empowers Wikipedia) You can get several RSS-
    Streams. My problem is how to obtain the RSS-Streams if Mediawiki (not the
    server) requires a login. This login usually is managed via a cookie. Is there
    a chance to copy and paste this cookie to rss-owl? Can anybody help me to
    login in Mediawiki from RSS-Owl?

• genodeftest

genodeftest - 2012-08-13

I doubt RSSOwl is able to manage Cookies. The internal Browser (XULRunner on
    Linux/Mac) however can do that, you just need to copy your cookie into your
    ~/.mozilla/eclipse/cookies.sqlite database.

But RSSOwl itself is able to manage most logins. Open the preferences dialog,
    choose "passwords" and add the URL (only protocol+server needed, e.g.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/ ), your username and
    the passphrase; apply and try to fetch the feed again. Did it work?

• david

david - 2012-08-13

Thanks, but unfortunately both ways don't work.

1. RSSOwl cannot manage the login because the password dialogue only provides ONE URI-field for the RSS-stream. But in Mediawiki you have one login-page and then hundreds of RSS-Streams (generated in the moment they are queried). So I need tow URIs one for the login and one for the feed itself.

2. You described a way for unix. but I use the portable-app version for windows. I found a directory "xulrunner" which I gues is the mozilla folder You described. But there is no cookies.txt or similar. even less a "~/.mozilla/eclipse/cookies.sqlite". There is a "sqlite3.dll" which is a zipped archive but the five files inside are no plain text files, I don't understand them. The above mentioned eclipse is in the plugin-folder as a bunch of jar-files and a folder "org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.101.R34x_v20080731". Most orther data is in .jar or .dll files which are not searchable.

• genodeftest

genodeftest - 2012-08-13

1.) You can use just one top-level URI (without the "path" part, you do not
    need to parse the whole URI there!

2.) Are you sure you displayed hidden files and folders? There should be a
    path where RSSOwl's appdata gets stored, XULRunner's appdata should be
    somewhere near.

• david

david - 2012-08-14
    1. It is impossible to add a toplevel only. Beneath the "Add Login Information" window it reads "Pleas enter the link to a feed you are subscribed to." No O.K. is accepted till I insert a valid RSS-link. But each of my two Links is invalid. The Link to login page will not work because it is no RSS-link, the link to the RSS-Feed will not work until logged in. A link to a top level domain is not accepted.

2. Thanks, it was a huge mistake to have files hidden (when I get a new computer it is the first thing to toggle the view to hidden files, too) but it didn't help either. I found the path for RSSOwl's appdata in RSSOwlPortable\Data.rssowl2.metadata.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime.settings but nothing remembers me of XULrunner, sqlite, cookies or similar. Especially no path for XULrunners apdata is identifiable.