bug: all feeds updated

Help
2004-12-01
2012-08-29
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hello!

Thank you for your great work!

I have a terrible bug with v. 0.9b, under w2k:

Sometimes when I update all feeds using the button, it shows ALL! feeds as changed (marked bold). This way I am loosing all changes for that day (i'm monitoring software projects at sourceforge.net among others).

Another thing: having adjusted the non-tabbed view and then opening RSSowl, I see opening lots of windows one after the other in the right pane. At the end the last opened feed stays on top and the others are not visible. As far as I could see the feeds that are opened correspond to the last opened feeds. Why is that? I think opening the last would be enough.

Peace
    Friend

• Nobody/Anonymous

Sorry again, I gave out false information: my version of RSSowl is 1.0 Preview Release Build 2004-10-31 (Windows, U, de)

Thank you

Peace
      Friend

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi Friend,

Regarding the first issue, please be more specific what exactly is happening. The "Reload All Favorites" button will update all favorites in RSSOwl. In case any unread news made it in, the favorite is painted bold indicating that. It should not paint bold, in case no new news made it in.

Regarding the second issue I will work on it for the final RSSOwl 1.0 release.

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hello Ben!

Tahnk you for your answer. Ok, more specific, i try:

I hit the button to update all favourites and it does. But after updating all favourite, even the ones that did not change are indicated as updated. Simply ALL are shown in bold as if all had changed! Hope this is enough? This occurs only sometimes, about once ever 3 weeks or so.

Thank you for helping on the other issue too!

Enjoy!

Peace
      Friend

• Anonymous - 2004-12-01

Hm ok that sounds strange. Well in case it happens again, please open the favorites that should not contain unread news, and tell me how much news of that feed are unread. In some cases a feed changes the URL of an existing news. RSSOwl is then thinking its unread.

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hello Ben!

Thanks again for your fast answer and your dedication. I admire all you open-source programmers.
      Regarding the bug: I'm afraid I can't do what you suggest, because as i said, it affects simply ALL news in ALL feeds. They are all bold, even the very old ones. Of course this normally does not happen. Of all the feeds I have, normally 1 or even nine are new each day.

Thanks again. I give you this much work, because I love RSSowl very much after having tested lots of others RSS readers, but this bug is really annoying. I'm going to try to see if it is reproducable in any way, but I already did try with no success. Only thing i noticed is that it maybe occurs sometimes just after adding a new feed.
      The bug happened already to me several times, maybe 9-10. At the beginning more often, then I though it was gone for a while and now again.

I know how difficult it is to find such a bug... So thank you for even thinking about it!

Peace
      Friend

• Anonymous - 2004-12-02

Yes its really difficult to track this bug, since I am not able to reproduce it and others did not yet report a similiar behaviour. You should open a bug report on this issue so that we are able to discuss it there, maybe with others that have the same problem:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=86683&atid=580502

Is it correct that this problem was appearing in earlier versions too? Or only in 1.0 preview release.
        Any specific settings in RSSOwl that differ from the default ones?

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thank you again!

I made a bug report.

Yes, the problem was with older versions too (3 back i believe). I have adjusted non-tabbed view and external browser (Opera).

Peace
      Friend

• Nobody/Anonymous

I notice a smilar issue on RSSOwl 1.0 (Win2K)

I subsribe to a forum RSS feed. Therefore, I receive a news each time an answer is posted. The news has the topic title in the "RSS Item Title" field.

1- RSSOwl add a number after the "real" title. The last news received has no number added. The previous is named (1), etc.
      2- When a news comes up, all the news which have the same title are marked as unread !!

I don't undertstand why...

• Anonymous - 2005-01-07

Could you please state (or send via eMail) the URL to the feed you are subscribed. I would like to test that here.

What RSSOwl does when a news has the same title as another one, it appends a number to it.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks