Locally-installed Firefox - "cannot create browser error" regardless

Help
xcopfly
2013-05-29
2013-06-02
  • xcopfly

xcopfly - 2013-05-29

Hi,

I am a long-time RSSOwl user running on Kubuntu. (I'm a Slackware user and hate package management, but I have to use Kubuntu for at least a while.)

I have the RSSOwl ZIP file unzipped to my home directory, and Sun's JDK downloaded from the Web site, installed to /usr/lib/jdk(version) and symlinked the JRE to /usr/lib/java/bin. I then put /usr/lib/java in my PATH.

My Firefox set up is specific - I run the 64-bit beta version available on the FTP site, and put it in my home directory. The only package-manager-installed browser is "Reconq" which I assume is a derivative of Konqueror.

Everything works fine (KDE settings, KDE start menu, etc) with the home-directory install of Firefox. But for some reason, RSSOwl can't create a browser, even when I point it to the correct Firefox binary. Shouldn't RSSOwl use Firefox, since it's a locally-installed version of the same browser as if installed via the package management system, and works with the KDE settings and every other program that depends on them?

Thank you, Dan

Last edit: xcopfly 2013-05-29
  • xcopfly

xcopfly - 2013-05-29

(message deleted - above is correct)

• xcopfly

xcopfly - 2013-05-29

SOLVED:

The Hunspell symlink as described here did the trick:

http://sourceforge.net/p/rssowl/discussion/296910/thread/5afb345b?page=3

(I didn't do anything with the XULRunner, etc., I just followed the instruction to create a v1.2 symlink to v1.3 and ran "./RSSOwl" normally)

After selecting the "Use standard browser (Mozilla Firefox)", everything works properly.

Thank you, Dan

• genodeftest

genodeftest - 2013-05-29

btw: RSSOwl can't use the XULRunner provided by recent Firefox versions.

• apometron

apometron - 2013-05-29

Why?

On 29/05/2013 03:32, genodeftest wrote:

btw: RSSOwl can't use the XULRunner provided by recent Firefox versions.

• genodeftest

genodeftest - 2013-05-30

the Eclipse RCP / SWT versions RSSOwl relies on does not support XULRunner > 1.9.2.xx

• apometron

apometron - 2013-05-30

And if the RSSOwl development team could get more people into the team?

How many hours/man would it to take that accomplishment?

[]s
          Rodrigo Cesar Banhara
          http://about.me/apometron

On 29/05/2013 21:46, genodeftest wrote:

the Eclipse RCP / SWT versions RSSOwl relies on does not support
          XULRunner > 1.9.2.xx

• genodeftest

genodeftest - 2013-06-02

If you are familiar with Java and Eclipse internals Browser it should take about 10…50 hours of work. I'm not clear how WebKit on Eclipse works and if we need to rewrite major parts of RSSOwl's browser-communication. I started just replacing XULRunner with WebKit which basically worked except for displaying RSSOwl's images for ALL actions (mark as read, mark, delete, …). To do this you just need to build RSSOwl (see https://github.com/bpasero/rssowl-target/ ) with org.rssowl.ui/src/org/rssowl/ui/internal/util/CBrowser.java changed as in the diff file (with some test output added).