Settings

Help
george
2006-03-29
2012-08-29
  • george

george - 2006-03-29

Hi there,

I have just downloaded a portable version of RSSOwl. However it doesn't seem to keep the settings when I exit nor does it keep the feeds that I download. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank You

• Benjamin Pasero

Benjamin Pasero - 2006-03-29

What do you mean with portable? Are you referring to keeping an install of RSSOwl on a usb-stick? You would need to specify the profile path then using the "-profile" argument.

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

I've got a good hint for you.
        Just try to launch

javaw.exe -Duser.home=. -Djava.library.path=. -jar rssowl.jar

This way the program will use a folder ".rssowl" in your main directory.

Freely yours.

• george

george - 2006-03-30

Yes. RSSOwl is installed on my USB Stick. How do I specify the profile and then how do I use the "-profile" argument

• Benjamin Pasero

Benjamin Pasero - 2006-03-30

Very easy: Run rssowl with:

rssowl.exe -profile <Path to Directory on USB Stick where RSSOwl shall store the profile>

Ben

• george

george - 2006-03-30

Sorry I don't seem to understand. How do I get what you told me to do to work. IE how do run RSSOwl with the command rssowl.exe -profile <Path to Directory on USB Stick where RSSOwl shall store the profile>

• Benjamin Pasero

You could create a link where you supply the parameter. like:

"rssowl.exe -profile F:/rssowlprofile", where F is the drive letter of your USB Stick.

Ben

• george

george - 2006-03-30

Where do I put this information, is it in RSSOwl, or do I create a file, or where do I put this.

• Benjamin Pasero

I assume you are on windows right? Then do as follows:

1. Rightclick on the rssowl.exe in the Windows Explorer. It should be on your USB Stick
            2. "Create Link"
            3. Rightclick the Link and select Properties
            4. In the opening Dialog there should be an input field "Goal" with the rssowl.exe and a directory inside as Text.
            5. append " -profile <Directory>" after the text.
            6. Save

I have a german version of windows so the text might be labeld different.

Sorry I think I can't become more detailed without you coming over to my place and I show it to you :-)

Ben

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks