Limitations on number of feeds for RSSOwl

Help
Alex
2013-09-05
2013-09-26
  • Alex

Alex - 2013-09-05

Is there an upper limit on the number of feeds that can be managed by RSSOwl? I'm in the midst of a datamining project working with several thousand feeds, and while hardware and bandwidth constraints can easily be dealt with, I wanted to make sure that RSSOwl can scale without any serious difficulty.

• sg2002

sg2002 - 2013-09-05

I don't think that the number of feeds itself should give you any problems.

The main limit of RSSOwl is items. If you want to display more than 100k items in one view, than you would need 64 bit custom build. With that I have more than 170k and still counting.

• Alex

Alex - 2013-09-05

Wow, not bad. As I'd be using this for datamining, so I'm also curious about how you're managing such a large number of feeds. (e.g how often do you poll the feeds, are you archiving all of this content, have you found the db4o database to be adequate for your needs, are you writing into SQL?)

Out of curiosity, what kind of stats does 170k feeds generate? I'd imagine the bandwidth to be pretty substantial.

• sg2002

sg2002 - 2013-09-26

I'm talking about feed items here, not feeds themselves.The limitation is more towards the number of items you can display at a given time. As for the feeds themselves - from what I know you can have a lot.

Since I'm just using it as a feed reader, can't answer about whether db4o suits your needs.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks