Menu

Can't get RSSOwl to run

Help
pchamp
2004-11-25
2012-08-29
  • pchamp

pchamp - 2004-11-25

I've asked people in my membership to use RSSOwl to get bulletins from me and one of my members is having troubles with RSSOwl.

I created Camtasia videos showing how to install it, configure it with my feed, and use it. She did all this and RSSOwl just never runs. She doesn't see the flash screen, nothing appears in her system tray, and javaw.exe is not in her list of running processes. (She's on Windows XP, trying to run RSSOwl 0.9b)

She does see the RSSOwl entry in her program files and can look at the Readme and Tutorial files. She just can't run the application!

I sent her to the Java site to run their little test that tells what version of Java is installed and whether it's working properly. Java 1.4.2_04 is installed and runs properly.

I've just sent her an email asking her to look in .rssowl/logs to see if anything getting logged.

But I don't know what else might be wrong, so I don't know what else to ask!

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Or even what other questions might help diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

Peggy

• pchamp

pchamp - 2004-11-29

I had her try this and she got the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.util.Locale: method
      <init><Ljava/lang/String;>V not found
      at net.sourceforge.rssowl.util.i18n.Dictionary (more)<UnknownSource>
      at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.GUI (more)<UnknownSource>
      at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.RSSOwlLoader.Main(more)<UnknownSource>

at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.RSSOwlLoader.Main(more)&lt;UnknownSource&gt;

Peggy

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-11-29

Is it possible that she has not installed Java 1.4 and later but an earlier Java version? RSSOwl needs at least Java 1.4.

Ben

• pchamp

pchamp - 2004-11-29

As I said in my original message, she went to the Java site and ran their little test which said she is running Java 1.4.2_05 (I said 04 in the earlier message, but it is 05).

Peggy

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-11-29

She could also try it by running "java -version" from the console. It will show the Java version.

Another try would be to call RSSOwl from the commandline with:

java -jar -Duser.language=en rssowl.jar

Before calling that she should empty the ".rssowl" profile folder which is located in C:/Documents & Settings/user.name/.rssowl. Before that, she should of course make a backup of the folder since its containing all settings.

Does that work?

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

I want to run RSSowl in Xandros Linux...

I have apache ant installed..and I copy the necessay files from swt to the main Rssowl folder..

and then I get into src directory ,I have j2re1.2.4 installed in /opt/ folder and then run

ant deploy_linux and I get the error message

"Unable to locate tools.jar in /opt/j2re1.2.4"

BUILD FAILED
      /tmp/rssowl/src/build.xml:131: Unable to find a javac compiler;
      com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
      Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK

Can someone kindly help..Thanks

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2005-01-08

This sounds like an ANT problem. The tools.jar is, as far as I know, required to execute ANT. But I am not sure if it still is, with the latest version.

What ANT version are you running?

• Nobody/Anonymous

RSSOWL not running at all. I can see the program group in my start >> programms but it is not starting at all. No error messages only nothing happens. I have java installed. pl help.

regards,

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2005-01-20

Please try running RSSOwl with "java -jar rssowl.jar" from the directory the rssowl.jar is located in.

Ben

• m0rtal

m0rtal - 2005-01-27

I've done everything that install.txt says step-by-step, but still can't run RSSOwl...
      I had stuck @ installation of SWG:

Z:!Appz\RSSOwl>java -jar -Djava.library.path=z:!Appz\RSSOwl z:!Appz\RSSOwl\rs
      sowl.jar
      Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument cannot b
      e null
      at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2813)
      at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2752)
      at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2723)
      at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.ImageLoader.load(ImageLoader.java:123)
      at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.ImageData.<init>(ImageData.java:309)
      at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Image.<init>(Image.java:635)
      at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.RSSOwlLoader.<init>(Unknown Source)

at net.sourceforge.rssowl.controller.RSSOwlLoader.main(Unknown Source)

what should I do?...

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2005-01-27

Did you compile your own RSSOwl or downloaded a binary version? What OS are you running?

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi Peggy,
      that sounds strange, in case of problems, the rssowl.exe should popup a dialog telling about the origin of the problem.

What she should try is to go into the directory the "rssowl.jar" is in with the commandline (open it with Start > Execute > "cmd") and enter:

java -jar rssowl.jar

from the command line.

Maybe that gives some more info what's happening.

Ben