Mac OS X and proxy (possible bug?)

Help
Alfonso
2005-03-17
2012-08-29
  • Alfonso

Alfonso - 2005-03-17

Hi, I don't know if this has been posted before, but at least it's something that's giving me some problems with RC1.

I have an iBook and have two different connection set-ups (university and home). At home I'm using a cable modem and RSSOwl works perfectly.

However in university we have a proxy server and all the feeds that I get are outdated. I have to go to my browser (Camino) and manually display-reload the rss feed. Then I reload them from RSSOwl to get the latest summaries. RSSOwl doesn't seem to properly download the latest feeds when manually reloading or waiting for the automatic reload to take effect. This happens either with the proxy server within RSSOwl enabled or disabled. Any ideas? To me it's definitely a bug, but I wanted to check before if anyone got the same problem or if there's any workaround for the time being. Once used to RSSOwl it's really annoying to not being able to use it while I'm not at home.

BTW, are there any ideas to add an option in order to use Mac OS X global proxy settings?

Thanks.

• Anonymous - 2005-03-17

Could you please check if you are having the same problems using RSSOwl 1.0.2?

In 1.1 the Connection Management (including Proxy) was completly changed with a new Implementation.

I dont think its easily possible to access global proxy settings from a Java application.

Ben

• Alfonso

Alfonso - 2005-03-22

Hi again.

Sorry for not posting in a long time after the first time but I was mainly at home and couldn't test RSSOwl with the proxy settings for a few days.

I was checking around and I noticed that I had downloaded RC1 but I was still using 1.0.2 (don't ask :) but after downloading RC1 the problem persists. Just to give you an idea, when I came here and loaded at startup the feeds in my favourites (e.g. Slashdot), the summaries that showed up were from March, 18th which was the last day I connected from here. I quit RSSOwl, went to http://slashdot.org/index.rss with Camino, reloaded the current feed and ran again RSSOwl so Slashdot's RSS were up to date. Of course doing this every one or two hours is quite a nuisance.

If you want more info about this let me know. Right now I'm too busy but maybe in a few weeks I might be able to look into the code closer or if you give me a few indications (classes or methods used) I could give it some thought.

TIA.

• Anonymous - 2005-03-22

Could it be that the Proxy you are using is always serving cached versions to clients, unless accessed using Camino?

This sounds as if the Proxy is not permitting RSSOwl to connect to the Internet and instead sends cached content that was previously downloaded by Camino.

Ben

• Alfonso

Alfonso - 2005-03-22

The answer to the first question is yes and no. It's clear that it's serving cached versions. The funny thing is that if I click on the xml link of the RSS feeds from my browser it displays the cached versions until I click on Reload to force the browser to display the newest summary from the website. I've also observed that with websites the HTML pages served are always up-to-date except one site (it's a radio station which also has online news), but this refers to web browser content, not to the RSS (this site, by the way, doesn't have any). I tell you this so that you have a picture of the behaviour of my proxy.

In reference to your second comment what I don't understand is why RSSOwl doesn't reload the summaries as Camino does when clicking on Reload while on the xml link. It's like if it doesn't query the proxy to check for newer versions of the feeds, and it just checks if it has any version, no matter how old.

• Alfonso

Alfonso - 2005-03-22

As a sidenote I've checked that my browser gets old cached content on some other websites, too. It happens only with certain ones. So far I've seen that www.elpais.es and www.cadenaser.com (Spanish news sites from Spain) need to get manually reloaded to get the latest content but news.bbc.co.uk doesn't. The RSS feeds served to RSSOwl, however, always are cached versions in both www.elpais.es and news.bbc.co.uk.

• Anonymous - 2005-03-22

Interesting. What I meant with my last comment is that maybe the Proxy checks the user-agent header inside the HTTP Request, which is "RSSOwl..." in RSSOwl's case and "Camino..." or "Mozilla.." in the other case. So it could be that the proxy manages a list of allowed user-agents.

Another problem could be how RSSOwl's proxy implementation is working compared to Camino's. Maybe RSSOwl is missing a parameter that tells the proxy to reload the content and not to serve the cached version. Did you enter any other information in Camino for the proxy than host, port username and password?

Ben

• Alfonso

Alfonso - 2005-03-22

Camino uses the proxy settings from the general system preferences in Network and only proxy URL and port is needed. It doesn't require authentication.

In Firefox, which uses its own connection settings, I entered the same information and created a live bookmark. I closed the application and after launching it again the live bookmarks with the rss summaries were updated as expected. After that, as it happened with Camino, reloading the favourites in RSSOwl showed the latest headlines.

Regarding the first part, I don't know how it could be checked if the proxy only "lets through" some user-agents. Also, I don't feel very confortable about getting the source code of Camino/Firefox which could be quite a monster and looking for the proxy implementation and comparing it to RSSOwl's, but if you can't think of any other way I could give it a try maybe next week...

• Anonymous - 2005-03-22

No, I dont think that looking at Firefox' sources would help in this situation :).

Could you post the name of the proxy server your university is using (if its a software, could also be a hardware proxy)? Maybe there is something in the specs of that helps.

Ben

• Alfonso

Alfonso - 2005-03-22

I guess it's a dedicated host with some proxy server software. The department's lab domain is elcom.nitech.ac.jp and the proxy server is proxy-b.mains.nitech.ac.jp (port 8080).

I'll ask tomorrow around here for someone who knows the setup of the host.

• Anonymous - 2005-03-22

Good idea, maybe someone is knowing why in the case of RSSOwl, no updated contnent is sent by the Proxy.

Just for being sure that this is not the source of the problem: Did you check "Use Proxy" for the newsfeed you are loading (in Properties of the Newsfeed, access it using Edit > Properties while having the Newsfeed selected in the Favorites Tree)?

What happens if you try to load a Newsfeed without having the proxy specified?

Ben

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks