sync between multiple computers

2008-03-17
2012-08-29
  • DEXTER DEXTER

DEXTER DEXTER - 2008-03-17

Hey there,

So with this new version (Milestone 8) is it possible to sync feeds between multiple computers somehow? Especially the read status of a feed?

I have to note that a cross-platform feed reader is worth nothing if it does not support somehow syncing feeds.

Consider if someone has a computer at home with linux, and a computer at work with windows. Surely it is not acceptable to read feed at work and then when arrives at home read those feeds again, is it?

Maybe rssowl could use google reader (or any other online reader) as a database backend...

• Anonymous - 2008-03-23

I opened http://dev.rssowl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=794

Please comment or subscribe.

Ben

• Michał Minicki

Michał Minicki - 2008-03-23

I have voted for this feature (are the votes any good for you?) as it's highly valuable for me.

I use two feed readers at the moment - FeedReader at home and work place (Windows) and Liferea under my home development/work Linux box. I use FeedReader for it's synchronization feature which is nice to have but it's slow and clumsy at the same time - you have to manually press synchronize each time you wish to sync and I'm forgetting to use it all too often. And then again I can't synchronize Liferea with them.

I have found RSSOwl today, gave it a trial ride and for me, an Eclipse user, it looks very promising. I'm considering a jump. I will be missing the synchronize feature of FeedReader for sure, but if you're going to implement it, it will be definitely worth to wait.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Anonymous - 2008-03-19

Hi Dexter,

very good point about leveraging google reader for this. We will consider a synchronization feature for 2.0 and look at google reader as well. Stay tuned!

Ben

• DEXTER DEXTER

DEXTER DEXTER - 2008-03-19

Hi Ben,

That would be absolutely a great feature.
        As far as I know, there is no cross-platform offline reader supporting sync between multiple comps at the moment.

So if you implement this somehow, then a lot more people would use rssowl.

I'm staying tuned :)

Thx

• Mark A (Opensourcetesting.org)

Am very keen to see this feature, would make a huge difference to me, not for cross platform work but for work/home synching. There are multiple threads on this, my previous reposnse was at https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1914384&forum_id=296909. Great to hear it will be in 2.0 :)

• JC Francois

JC Francois - 2009-11-19

BlogBridge is a cross-platform reader that does it. However the free version
    only allows for 2 syncs per day.

Having a way to keep subscriptions and read status in sync between computers
    would be fantastic.

• pdb5627

pdb5627 - 2009-12-31

I sync between my work computer (Windows XP) and my personal laptop (Debian
    testing) using Unison. I just have a script the syncs, then launches RSSOwl,
    then syncs again at the end when RSSOwl closes. This requires having an server
    with ssh and unison installed to be able to sync to. It works well except that
    it seems like there are many files that somehow are modified or renamed
    whenever RSSOwl runs and updates, so it is not always very quick.

• Anonymous - 2009-12-31

Some people seem successfull using dropbox for synchronisation too.

• Mark Crocker

Mark Crocker - 2010-01-05

I've been successfully using rsync (a classic *NIX tool) to sync up the
    contents of the ~/.rssowl2 directory with my cell phone (Android phones behave
    like a USB drive when attached) from my Mac at home or my Linux box at work.
    However, it's a real pain and I've stopped doing it.

There are a number of problems with doing this:

1. The phone as a USB drive is formatted as a FAT drive, so it doesn't do proper date and time stamping, which requires that I use the --size-only option.
    2. RSSOwl uses an excessively complicated database to store state, so virtually every file changes every time, making the sync operation almost as inefficient as just doing a complete copy. Since the drive is a FLASH drive, copying hundreds of files every day is not a good idea.
    3. Some of my feeds are not appropriate for work, so I have them separated into two feed sets, but that means that I have to manually turn the home feeds on or off each time I do a sync.

A simple XML export of changes since last sync would be much better, but, I
    suspect, tricky to implement.

• Anonymous - 2010-01-19

Google Reader synchronization will come in the near future, I am quite sure.
    You will already be able to import feeds from Google Reader in upcoming 2.0.3.