Menu

Mozilla integration

2004-09-23
2012-08-29
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Congrats on the new release! I did a quick test drive last night and the new features are terrific. However, I am at a loss on how to integrate Mozilla internally on RSSOwl. I have tried both WinXP and Linux versions to no avail, and it is not obvious in the preferences panel how to enable this new capability.

Thanks,

Bill M

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-09-23

Hi bill,
      Latest RSSOwl should support Mozilla 1.7 as internal browser, but only on Linux. On WinXP its still IE that is used as internal browser.
      See this FAQ how to make integration on Linux possible and let me know if its working with 1.7. I heard that there seem to be problems using 1.7. I for myself got it to work with 1.6.

FAQ: http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-swt-home/faq.html#browserlinuxrcp

• Bill MacDonald

Bill MacDonald - 2004-09-24

Okay, I tried this in Mandrake Linux v9.2 using the bash shell. The bash shell on Mandrake does not use the setenv variable found in the FAQ you provided. I believe it works with shells other than bash.

• Please note that the path to my mozilla install is /usr/local/mozilla, which is unique to my installation and may vary from the default location on other linux versions. - I am using Mozilla v1.7b

Pasted below are the instructions that worked for me:

1. Edit .bashrc in your home directory

2. Add the following 2 lines, making the substitution for your mozilla directory

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/mozilla
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME}:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

1. Launch RSSOwl with the appropriate browsers settings found in the "Tools" - "Preferences" - "Browser" menu and you can use Mozilla as your internal browser.

2. Please note these changes are permanent and that RSSOwl will work forever more with Mozilla as the default.

3. Did I mention you should make a backup copy of .bashrc before you start?

Bill M

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-09-24

Ah great, so its working with Mozilla 1.7?

• Nobody/Anonymous

It is working just fine :)

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-09-24

Awesome :)

• Nobody/Anonymous

Unfortunately, it does not work here. Tried everything as told in previous posts, but RSSOwl still complains about missing Mozilla 1.4+ (1.7.3 is installed).

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-10-14

Did you follow the steps as described by

Q: What do I need to run the SWT Browser in a standalone application on Linux GTK or Linux Motif?
        http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-swt-home/faq.html#browserlinuxrcp

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yes, I did everything exactly as described. My system is SuSE 8.1, Java 1.4.1, Mozilla 1.7.3.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have seen on Windows, that RSSOwl seems to have some kind of internal browser. Why is there no internal view in Linux? RSSOwl opens either Netscape 4 or Mozilla as an extra window in Linux.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-10-19

On Linux some things needs to be setup in order to use Mozilla as internal browser. Please refer to this FAQ:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-swt-home/faq.html#browserlinuxrcp

If that does not work, please let us know.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I would be happy if RSSOwl would use any internal browser - this need not be Mozilla.

How can I set this up?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-10-20

The type of browser that is used as internal browser is preset and not changeable (IE on Windows, Mozilla on Linux, Safari on Mac).

Please follow the steps from the FAQ I posted to activate the internal browser. Two environment variables have to be setup:

Q: What do I need to run the SWT Browser in a standalone application on Linux GTK or Linux Motif?
                A: Follow the steps below to use the SWT Browser widget in your standalone SWT application.

1. A supported version of Mozilla must be installed - 1.4 GTK2, 1.5 GTK2 or 1.6 GTK2. Instructions here
                   2. Set the environment variable MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME to your Mozilla installation folder. e.g. setenv MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME /usr/lib/mozilla
                   3. Set the environmnent variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME. e.g. setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME}:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
                   4. Your standalone SWT application can now use the Browser widget.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Is there any chance for Mozilla-Firefox as internal browser on Linux?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2005-01-05

There is already a feature request open on this item. Its not in my hands, Eclipse has to implement and support it in SWT.

Ben

• Nobody/Anonymous

great! 1.7.3 works fine, great works for all above.

I'm running FedoraCore3 test3, and java1.5.0
      mozilla /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.3
      jre /usr/local/jre1.5.0

my run.sh

!/bin/sh

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.3
      export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME}:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
      /usr/local/jre1.5.0/bin/java -jar -Djava.library.path=. rssowl.jar

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-10-20

For all people getting a native crash when activating the internal browser on RSSOwl @ Linux, please contact me via bpasero@rssowl.org. I will then take some information from you and contact the developers of SWT (the GUI Engine RSSOwl is using).

Thanks,
      Ben

• Alex K.

Alex K. - 2004-10-30

any way to enable Mozilla/Firefox on Windows?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-10-30

Well not yet supported for RSSOwl. See this bug item I opened on that topic:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=72487

Comment #1 although seems to have a solution, maybe you should give it a try.

• Alex K.

Alex K. - 2004-10-30

Thx for the fast answer. :)
          Where would I find the browser.java mentioned in comment #1?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-10-30

Hm ok that is the tricky part about it. The Browser.java is part of the SWT sources, which is not included in RSSOwl. RSSOwl is using SWT.jar whith a compiled version of the browser.java.

You would have to change Browser.java and recompile SWT in order to get it to work.

Nevertheless some people reported problems with that solution, such as Mozilla worked on Windows, but Forms and Input Fields on some webpages where not writeable.

I really hope Eclipse will implement a solution soon.

• Alex K.

Alex K. - 2004-10-30

I see. Damn it. Well, I hope that happens fast. I hate IExplorer. :( And the use external browser feature just isn't the same.

• Alex K.

Alex K. - 2004-10-31

Er, would it be a big hassle to compile SWT|Mozilla once and hand it over to those brave enough to face some problems? :D

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-10-31

Well if someone would do so, I'll test it with RSSOwl. Currently got not the time for it, since I am working to finish RSSOwl 1.0.
        I would rather wait some weeks until Eclipse has (hopefully) done something about it.

Ben

• Alex K.

Alex K. - 2004-11-01

er, well, anyone?