Menu

ALPHA Build 78 Notes: Servers and Grids

2006-01-18
2013-05-23
  • Trevor Croft

Trevor Croft - 2006-01-18

Players Servers
    I've added a Role drop down on the Start Server dialog.  This lets players with good bandwidth host the server but still not be a GM.  Note that to keep this relatively efficient, only the person hosting the server can load the campaign.  This means the GM needs to send the file ahead of time.  Note that GMs can still save the campaign at any time. Note also that I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about the implications of a player roled server, so give it a try, play with it, and let me know if you bump into any crazyness

New Adjust Grid Dialog Preview
    I've enabled the Adjust Grid button on the New Map dialog.  It's still not complete, but I'm interested in getting some feedback on its usability.  The first thing you'll notice is that there aren't any instructions.  I'm curious if it becomes intuitive within a few minutes of playing with it.  Let me know :)  Also, it's designed to make setting the grid on scanned maps much more precise.  To make that work, the current map grid has to be refactored, so until then the grid in the Adjust Grid dialog won't exactly match the resulting grid on the map.  This is a known issue and will be resolved soon.

That's it for this build, happy gaming !

• emryys

emryys - 2006-01-18

I just noticed something odd...I started a server and connected 2 players via LAN connection and mistakenly called them both 'BOB'. In the connection panel it only shows one BoB even though both are connected and both work fine. Also when I brought a token on to the board by one BoB the other also had ownership, and when I checked the ownership via the GM instance it only had one choice for...you guessed it! BoB. It would appear that if two connections have the exact same name it doesn't differenciate between the two...

• emryys

emryys - 2006-01-18

I made connections this time all named 'emryys' with 2 as GM's one hosting, and one player. Only one connection shows in the info panel for each and in the two GM's it shows emryys(GM), and for the player it shows emryys (player). For token ownership All players can move it even though it was brought on by a GM, and when I brought one on by the player it was the same... no players in the bottom of ownership yet all can move it... not sure what to make of it but great for spy games ;)

• Trevor Croft

Trevor Croft - 2006-01-18

Bummer. There's code in there to prevent two logins with the same name.  I'll check to see why it's not triggering.