Menu

Sample Application: Units of Measure

Dave Sager
2010-01-28
2013-05-28
  • Dave Sager

Dave Sager - 2010-01-28

This is in regards to putting together a sample application that would not only show how RPGUI works, but could actually be used in an iSeries / System i shop.

This sample application involves working with units of measure.  It will provide for the definition / maintenance of units of measure, search and selection, and cross-referencing units of measure to provide conversion factors as needed.

Based on an e-mail conversation with Aaron, we agreed that showing both an RPG version and an RPGUI version of the application would be helpful. 

I figure to start on the RPG programs, as they should be relatively straightforward.  But I do have one more question:  should we build the RPG programs in *typical* RPG fashion (i.e. the programs handle both UI and business logic), or should I try and follow the RPGUI (RNS) structure of separating the UI from the business logic?  Personally I am almost thinking we should do a 3-phase example:  part 1 would be the typical "do it all" type of RPG program; part 2 would be a re-write of the RPG programs separating UI and business logic, and lastly the RPGUI version.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

• Aaron Bartell

Aaron Bartell - 2010-01-28

I like your multi-phase approach because that will start programmers where they are comfortable and build from there.  Good idea!

aaronbartell.com

• Dave Sager

Dave Sager - 2010-01-28

FYI - I have created a PF-SRC named DATADICT to be used as our data dictionary.  I am also adopting the following naming conventions:

• Source members for *traditional* applications will start with RT, followed by D for display files, I for interactive programs, and B for batch programs.

• Source members for *transitional* applications will start with RE, followed by D for display files, I for interactive programs, and B for batch programs.

• File names will formatted as UM then either P for the physical file or L for a logical view, followed by a 3-digit sequential number (001, 002, etc.).  Logicals will have an alpha sequence appended to the end of the file name (i.e. UML001A for the first logical).

I have also been considering establishing a service program / binding directory (it's amazing how quickly we get spoiled, isn't it?).  Any thoughts on this?

• Dave Sager

Dave Sager - 2010-01-28

2010-01-28 17:50:51 CST
    FYI - I have created a PF-SRC named DATADICT to be used as our data dictionary. I am also adopting the following naming conventions:

• Source members for *traditional* applications will start with RT, followed by D for display files, I for interactive programs, and B for batch programs.
    • Source members for *transitional* applications will start with RE, followed by D for display files, I for interactive programs, and B for batch programs.
    • File names will formatted as UM then either P for the physical file or L for a logical view, followed by a 3-digit sequential number (001, 002, etc.). Logicals will have an alpha sequence appended to the end of the file name (i.e. UML001A for the first logical).

I have also been considering establishing a service program / binding directory (it's amazing how quickly we get spoiled, isn't it?). Any thoughts on this?

• Dave Sager

Dave Sager - 2010-01-28

I give up!  I hate BBCode!

• Aaron Bartell

Aaron Bartell - 2010-01-29

Don't worry about your BBCode, I was able to gather what you were saying :-) 

I use a binding directory named RPGUIBND in many of the RPGUI programs, but you probably don't need that for your green screen programs.  At some point we need to decide on a mechanism for building programs.  In my shop we have a build system that was written by Rory Hewitt that works quite excellent I must say (http://systeminetwork.com/article/using-compile-preprocessor - requires a subscription, though maybe we could make this compile preprocessor an open source project also.  Rory, are you monitoring this thread?)

aaronbartell.com

• Dave Sager

Dave Sager - 2010-01-29

Would saving user preferences / screen settings be considered traditional or enhanced code?  This is becoming a standard in our shop (at least for all of the systems I am responsible for! ^-^), but I don't know if we want to include it in the "base" version of code or not.

• Dave Sager

Dave Sager - 2010-01-29

Oh, and are we going to want screen-shots of the applications, or just the source code?

• Aaron Bartell

Aaron Bartell - 2010-01-29

I guess I would say that saving preferences would be enhanced code that wouldn't be needed in an education app like what you are developing.  Note that your app will be used to draw people in and give them understanding of the concepts involved (i.e. showing them the candy and letting them taste it).  Things like storing user preferences can come at a later date through another tutorial.

If you can develop the app, then I can put together a video tutorial of both the green screen and RPGUI versions.  That's one of the nice things about community development - usually you can have one person develop it and then next takes it to the next step.  In this case Mihael did JSON, I added HTTP stuff and named it RPGUI, you are now adding a tangible application, then I will document your application so I can understand the approach you took.  Ah, a perfect circle :-)

aaronbartell.com

• Dave Sager

Dave Sager - 2010-01-29

Thanks.  Just trying to decide how much code to rip out.  I hope you don't mind if I leave the buttons and checkboxes in place. I suppose we can always take them out later, - I am just trying to compare a "cutting-edge" green-screen app with what can be done using RPGUI. :P

• Rory Hewitt

Rory Hewitt - 2010-03-16

In response to msg 7, I'm now monitoring this thread.

As far as making the CP open-source, technically, I think the iSeries Network magazine owns the copyright on it.

• Aaron Bartell

Aaron Bartell - 2010-03-19

>I think the iSeries Network magazine owns the copyright on it.

Of course it would depend on what is in your written agreement with them, but more than likely they own the article work and NOT the actual code itself.  At least it would surprise me if they laid claim to the code.

aaronbartell.com

• Rory Hewitt

Rory Hewitt - 2010-03-19

Aaron,

I think they have the copyright for everything. I'll check what the situation is with them.

Rory