Re-introduction of vte3 deprecated functions

Help
4javier
2014-01-22
2014-02-20
  • 4javier

4javier - 2014-01-22

I know that some time ago gnome devs decided to stop maintaining hence deprecating several vte3 functions, many of them very useful. They collected many disapprovals but, as usual, they ignored them. Please, don't make the same mistake. I switched to roxterm for its huge configurability, and now I can't use it as a fixed root window terminal due to its lack of opacity settings. Please until they don't completely delete those functions, reconsider to let roxterm use them.

• Tony Houghton

Tony Houghton - 2014-01-22

OK, I'll try to think of a good way to deal with this. Meanwhile did you know they're only disabled in roxterm when compiled with versions of vte which deprecates them? So you could switch to the GTK2 version to restore this functionality in the meantime.

I was also hoping that one reason for deprecating these might be that you can achieve similar results with gtk.css, but I don't know much about theming/styling.

• 4javier

4javier - 2014-01-24

I'm trying to look on gtk3 theming, perhaps is possible to obtain the old behaviour through css. I'll post something later.

EDIT:
    I think that the only way to assign specific theme to widgets trough css, is to select the widget by name. To do so, the program must add a name label to the widget by this function
    https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkWidget.html#gtk-widget-set-name
    or by setting the "name" property at creation time.
    https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkWidget.html#GtkWidget--name
    I propose you one thing, to maintain the "profiles" feature of your program:
    make it assign a default name to the widget for the default profile;
    make it assign the name chosen as the profile as gtk widget name, when specified.

Thus people coulde theme any istance of roxterm independently.

Perhaps, in the future you could also restore the internal theming functions, making them create a css file inside ~/.config/roxterm, that should be sourced by gtk theme. (I'm not sure if this will be possible)

Last edit: 4javier 2014-01-24
  • 4javier

4javier - 2014-02-18

I think you made some mistakes trying to restore background settings in your last release (2.8.2).
    1) Last tab names in Profile Ditor are wrong: Scrolling refers to Background, Keyboard → Scrolling, Tabs → Keyboard. None refers to Tabs.
    2) Setting transparent background doesn't work. Moving the slider doesn't produce any effect. If i close the editor and re-open it, I found the "Use Solid Color" radio-box checked.

• Tony Houghton

Tony Houghton - 2014-02-18

I can't reproduce these problems. Are you using Debian or PPA packages or did you compile it yourself? Perhaps some old bits didn't get recompiled.

• 4javier

4javier - 2014-02-19

I use the package from Official Community Repo for Arch Linux.

• Tony Houghton

Tony Houghton - 2014-02-20

Can you rebuild the package from source and test that?

• 4javier

4javier - 2014-02-20

Just done. Same behaviour. In Arch Linux we build by PKGBUILD. The roxterm pkgbuild downloads sources from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/roxterm/roxterm-2.8.2.tar.bz2 and build through this code

build() {
    cd "${srcdir}/roxterm-${pkgver}"

python2 mscript.py configure --prefix='/usr'
    python2 mscript.py build
    }

package() {
    cd "${srcdir}/roxterm-${pkgver}"
    python2 mscript.py install --destdir="${pkgdir}"
    }

Last edit: 4javier 2014-02-20
  • Tony Houghton

It looks like the bug was in the way I disabled the options in the first place rather than how I reenabled them. You can fix it by adding --enable-deprecated-bg-opts to the configure line.

• 4javier

4javier - 2014-02-20

You're right, thanks. I should have checked by myself. I'll file a bugreport to Arch Linux packager.
    Any news on my proposal in the third post?

• Tony Houghton

Naming the widgets is a good idea, I'll do that in a future release.

• 4javier

4javier - 2014-02-20

Perfect. Thanks again. :)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks