From: Thomas Leonard <tal197@le...> - 2000-09-04 16:12:27
I've put up a new release of ROX-Session at:
ROX-Session provides a simple and (hopefully!) very reliable session
This is the first update in a long time. The new features are:
- Easier to install,
- Default setup works with the new ROX-Filer panels,
- Better failsafe operation, and
- Easier to configure.
To install it:
0. Download and install ROX-Filer first, in the normal way.
1. Download and extract the ROX-Session archive:
$ tar xzf roxsession-0.1.9.tgz
$ cd roxsession-0.1.9
2. Compile it:
$ ROX-Session/AppRun --compile
3. Move it to whereever you want to keep it (eg /usr/local/apps, but
anywhere will do).
4. Run it (by clicking on it in the filer, or with ROX-Session/AppRun).
At this point, ROX-Session will detect that it isn't already running and
will offer to become your session manager. Say 'Yes'. It will create
suitable .xsession and .xinitrc scripts for you and ask you to log out.
5. Log out. If you were using the old ROX-Session then you need to log out
by running the *old* copy. If you deleted it, just kill the old
ROX-Session process, or Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (on some systems only).
6. Hopefully, when you log in again you'll have a panel and a pinboard
(both blank!). Put useful stuff on them as usual...
I'm not sure many people were using ROX-Session, so this isn't all that
well tested yet. I've been using the latest version myself without any
trouble, though. Feedback would be good...
For more information, menu-click on it in a filer window and choose
tal197 at users.sourceforge.net
The ROX desktop (free/GPL) : http://rox.sourceforge.net
Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.