I finally got around to compiling ALSA and hooking up the soundcard in this
old piece of crap (233 MHz PII) I'm stuck using for a bit longer yet.
It sounds like shit, I must say. Absolute shit. This soundcard is garbage.
It makes my big ass stereo sound like a set of cheap PC speakers.
But on the bright side, I'm running with a load average near 3.0, most
physical RAM tied up, playing my .rg version of all three movements of
BWV1060, while watching the oboe part scroll by in a notation view.
It's not exactly running smoothly, but it's running much better than I
expected. The really good news is that playback has only glitched twice, and
I'm in the middle of the second movement now.
Changing desktops made it hitch, and so did a particularly CPU-intensive
command. Rearranging Rosegarden's own windows doesn't seem to perturb it at
all. Playback is getting the priority it deserves, and the display is
sitting there useless and frozen looking when it has to be.
I'd wager if I went back a few months and tried this, I would be bitching
right now. I think switching around all the sequencer dooflatchies the way
you guys did was just the ticket. I don't remember the details, and barely
understood them at the time, but whatever the hell you did seems to have been
just what the doctor ordered.
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan <dmmcintyr@...>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621