2009/11/26 D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com>
On Wednesday 25 November 2009, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> > Isn't this like shooting a fly with a cannon? Is it worth it at this
> > point?

OK, now that it's over, I can say that it definitely was. I made a lot more
noise talking about the problem and thinking my way in circles to work around
the problem (it turns out the "Play" shortcut that made my spine run cold is
actually "Multimedia Play" and there was never any conflict there at all) than
I did just fixing it correctly.

The code was trivial, and the impact it had on the translation was minimal. I
ran through all the changes very fast and got my translation back up to 100%
in less than 20 minutes.  Most of that time was spent either fixing mistakes
where I had translated keyboard shortcuts by mistake the first time around, or
redoing the I, II, III strings.

It wasn't technically necessary to change the I, II, III strings, but I like
things better with no accelerators, and at least there is only one new set to
re-translate instead of three new sets.

Incidentally, I'm looking at the German translation, and I see that it is
broken, or at least according to the Qt docs it should be broken.  Someone
(presumably Thorsten) translated all the keyboard shortcuts.  Maybe it works,
but the Qt docs state that it should not, so I'm correcting that.  I have
tested with Spanish that if I put "Ctrl+Shift+X" in for the translation (just
copying the original string, because I prefer to have something in every slot
to make it clear I meant to mark that as finished) then at runtime Qt will
show me "Ctrl+May"X" as is suitable for this language.

Great that you have started "translating" the shortcuts!

I have been thinking about recognizing the keyboard layout in use.
In that case the keyboard shortcuts would probably not be in the file
of translated strings. There may be a German keyboard user who has
English language settings.