Menu

Kone XTD, Ubuntu 12.04, Mate 1.6: No "Shortcuts"

Help
Nick-H
2013-07-23
2013-11-01
  • Nick-H

Nick-H - 2013-07-23

I have installed your software from the PPA. The Config 'abou' Screen shows version as 0.18.

Most everything works. I have not made any progress with macros as yest, so cannot be sure about them, but I am unable to make 'shortcuts' work

One test I have done is

$ cat /dev/input/by-id/usb-ROCCAT_ROCCAT_Kone_XTD-if01-event-kbd

and

$ cat /dev/input/by-id/usb-ROCCAT_ROCCAT_Kone_XTD-event-mouse

For the shortcut keys, I see nothing. For the latter device, I get output for mouse movement and keys.

I should like to employ this to be able to get home/end/pg-up/pg-dwn onto the mouse.

I also have the problem mentioned in this thread: https://sourceforge.net/p/roccat/discussion/989581/thread/43b3f774/. No response on the login screen. Whilst it would be nice to fix this, I don't mind it: tab and return keys get me logged in in a jiffy.

Many thanks for the work of making these devices available for Linux ...and to Roccat for supporting you.

• Stefan Achatz

Stefan Achatz - 2013-07-24

Please don't use the outdated binary packages I have no control of.
    I heavily changed key translations in 0.20.0 and strongly suggest you compile the newest version, reassign all your buttons and report back if it still doesn't work.

Regarding Ubuntu: I don't have the resources to investigate every glitch in every distribution. I treat 12.04 as an even crappier iteration of an already bad distribution. And I'm not even talking about Unity and Mir...

• Nick-H

Nick-H - 2013-07-24

OK Thanks. The PPA is mentioned in your write up, so I imagined it was at least semi-approved. I'll take another look at compiling the latest version and report back.

(Sorry its Ubuntu --- but at least I won't have Unity etc)

• Nick-H

Nick-H - 2013-07-24

Hmmm... I think there lies dependency hell. I may have to be satisfied with the functionality that I have now.

• Stefan Achatz

Stefan Achatz - 2013-07-25

Normally you just need a view, small, development packages for libraries you have already installed. A hopefully complete list can be found in the INSTALL file of the tarball.

• Nick-H

Nick-H - 2013-07-26

I had trouble with 'needs this, got that' stuff. Minor version numbers disagreeing. Maybe this is why developers don't like Ubuntu! Maybe I should have just grabbed the source and compiled those couple of trouble libraries.

At the cost of having "broken packages" I did compile the tool set after piecing together the various library requirements, but the result was not working at all. I'll revisit, and perhaps come up with some more useful information than "it doesn't work" (doh!) at a later date, but, for now, was happy just to go back to the 0.18 PPA version and have almost all the functionality.

• Stefan Achatz

Stefan Achatz - 2013-07-28

Assuming were still talking about Ubuntu 12.04:
    I did a standard installation and added the missing development packages with this command:

sudo apt-get install cmake libcanberra-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgudev-1.0-dev libnotify-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev

This installs a couple dependencies, but that's only small header files.

Configuration, compilation and installation according to the INSTALL instructions worked like expected.

I might test actual behaviour with hardware later, since I first need to get it through to the virtual machine.

• Nick-H

Nick-H - 2013-07-28

For the record, this is what I get, but I do not ask or expect you to trouble shoot this, unless there is something really obvious there. I think my system has has too much variance from original 12.04 (Ubuntu Studio, xfce, KXstudio, MATE). It's too much to expect a developer to spend time on what might be a unique problem ... so I won't :)

$ sudo apt-get -f install cmake libcanberra-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgudev-1.0-dev libnotify-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    libdbus-glib-1-dev is already the newest version.
    libdbus-glib-1-dev set to manually installed.
    libnotify-dev is already the newest version.
    libcanberra-dev is already the newest version.
    libcanberra-dev set to manually installed.
    libusb-1.0-0-dev is already the newest version.
    libgtk2.0-dev is already the newest version.
    libgtk2.0-dev set to manually installed.
    cmake is already the newest version.
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
     libgudev-1.0-dev : Depends: libgudev-1.0-0 (= 1:175-0ubuntu2) but 1:175-0ubuntu9.3 is to be installed
                        Depends: libudev-dev but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    $
    $
    $
    $ sudo apt-get -f install libgudev-1.0-0
    Building dependency tree       
    libgudev-1.0-0 is already the newest version.
    $
    $
    $
    $ sudo apt-get -f install libudev-dev
    Building dependency tree       
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
     libudev-dev : Depends: libudev0 (= 175-0ubuntu2) but 175-0ubuntu9.2 is to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

BTW, despite the "held/broken" message, I can find no broken packages with Synaptic, and the only held packages are fglrx related as a catalyst upgrade would not support my graphics.

I'll try to find time to test with a 'purer' Ubuntu 12.04

• Nick-H

Nick-H - 2013-07-28

... Going to try that now.

• Stefan Achatz

Stefan Achatz - 2013-07-28

Maybe the answer to this question helps you resolve the issue:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/140246/how-do-i-resolve-unmet-dependencies

• Nick-H

Nick-H - 2013-07-28

"pure" Ubuntu 12.04 experience...

The kone xtd mouse worked during the install, login and desktop.

The dependencies and sub dependencies installed with no problems.

The roccat tool build had no problems.

/then.../

on running the Kone xtd config, it said that there was no kone xtd attached. Sadly, after that, I could not even get pointer movement from the mouse, not even at the login screen, not even after reboot/power-down.

• Stefan Achatz

Stefan Achatz - 2013-07-29

News from here: The KoneXTD and my self compiled software work like a charm on plain Ubuntu 12.04. Terms:
    - no Mate
    - didn't try the login screen
    - tried shortcut and it worked

To your news: Please try the mouse on another system. Could be it had hardware issues and now it's gone completely.

• Nick-H

Nick-H - 2013-07-30

Cheers.

It works perfectly with Windows XP and Kone software, which should rule out any hardware problem? It continues to mostly work on my "impure" 12.04

I haven't tried all the software functions, but everything else I have tried, works --- and I'm happy with that for now.

• Nick-H

Nick-H - 2013-10-29

Just a postscript on this...

I am using lightdm, and thought I would try gdm. The Kone xtd then worked at the login screen, but there were other things that I did not like so I returned to ldm. I was happy to find that the mouse worked!

I cannot be sure that this was the fix as other stuff might have got changed too, but for anyone who has this problem, and finds this thread, it is worth a try: change the greeter. If you like what you have changed to and the Kone works, it's a win; if you change back and it still works, it is another win.

• Stefan Achatz

Stefan Achatz - 2013-11-01

With all that installation trouble the initial shortcut problem got out of focus. If there are still problems with anything regarding keyboard input (shortcuts/macros) on Ubuntu it might help to add the kernel modules to the initial ramdisk. Read here: http://roccat.sourceforge.net/general.html#faq_initrd

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel