Menu

RKWard 0.6.1 with R 3.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 x64 --takes too long to open the help window

Help
Burfee
2013-05-06
2013-05-07
  • Burfee

Burfee - 2013-05-06

Hi,

I recently updated R and RKWard and I am encountering issues using it. The help window takes too long to load.

For example: typing ?ls in the command line prompts a window titled "Transfering" that says
    Source: http://127.0.0.1:11269/library/base/html/ls.html

It keeps loading and sometimes it opens the help window after a long time (about 10-20 seconds) with the required info, sometimes it opens a blank help window, that gets filled after a minute or so.
    I didn't encounter this behavoiour before, so I would say it is not normal.

If i take the above link and put it in my browser it opens instantly.

I tried renaming the rkwardc file from /home/burfee/.kde/share/config, but no change. Don't know if it should be causing this but tried to see.
    All packages are updated for R 3.0
    Tried re-installing rkward.

Also, I noticed that when I open RKWard the window goes gray for a whilev(20-30 seconds), which also didn't happen before the update.

Any suggestions on how i could fix this?

Best,
    Alex

Last edit: Burfee 2013-05-06
  • Thomas Friedrichsmeier

Hi,

I've seen the help window taking somewhat long to load on occasion, too. I did not see this, often, so I can't be sure, but so far, my impression was that this would happen when opening a help page for the first time, after e.g. installing / updating packages. In other words, so far, I believe, this is simply a cache issue.

What about the second time you open a help page, i.e.:

?ls      # Wait for it to load, then
    ?print

Does this come up faster? If it does not, and you see this, consistently, could you compare this in firefox and konqueror? Is it fast in both stand-alone browsers? (Note: To get the relevant port number you can run .rk.getHelpBaseUrl(), although this will produce a warning; or set options(browser="konqueror")).

Also, I noticed that when I open RKWard the window goes gray for a whilev(20-30 seconds), which also didn't happen before the update.

Which window, exactly? Does the problem persist on a subsequent start? (One thing RKWard does on startup (and has been doing since many versions) is to call installed.packages(), which can take quite a while, if you have many packages installed, and the disk cache is cold. During this time, the status indicator icon in the lower right corner will remain yellow, and no other R command will be run. Most parts of the UI should still work, though.)

Regards
    Thomas

• Burfee

Burfee - 2013-05-06

Hi Thomas,

For me it it takes long to load everytime since the update.
    Even if i do
    ?ls
    ?ls
    for each of them will take very long to load.

The "Transferring" window with the bouncing left and right progressbar will stay on the screen for a long time. And most of the time, after it dissapears, the help window is blank. It will eventually get filled after a while, but it takes a long time.

.rk.getHelpBaseUrl()
    Error in tools::startDynamicHelp() : server already running
    [1] "http://127.0.0.1:11394"

I did options(browser = "firefox") and it loads instantly when doing ?ls

Regarding the grayed window: the rkward window, the entire GUI. And i also noticed that it doesn't happen only on startup. Unfortunately i cannot reproduce this, but i got grayed window from random clicks through the script window.

I got an Intel dual-core at 2.4 with 8 GB RAM and during the time the GUI gets grayed the processor doesn't show high activity.

Best regards,
    Alex

• Thomas Friedrichsmeier

Hi Alex,

ok, something is definitely going wrong on your system, then. This should not happen. It looks a bit like something is slowing down the frontend process, but I don't have a good idea what that could be.

Some things to try:

I did options(browser = "firefox") and it loads instantly when doing ?ls

Could you also try options(browser = "konqueror")? If that works fast, we know the problem is specific to rkward. If it does not, we may be looking at a problem with KDE applications in general.

Regarding the grayed window: the rkward window, the entire GUI.

This is highly unusual. The only time you should see the entire window go gray, is when a modal dialog is waiting for input.

Let's try to track this down. Since I can't reproduce this at all, I'll need your help gathering evidence. Could you please do some (ideally all) of the things below, for me?

1. Please locate and post the latest rkward.rbackend.XYZ and rkward.frontend.XYZ-files in your /tmp directory.
    2. Start RKWard from the command line with "rkward --debug-level 4", quit once the status indicator has turned green, and also post the resulting rkward.frontend.XYZ and rkward.rbackend.XYZ-files.
    3. Please post the output of rk.sessionInfo().
    4. Please move your ~./Rprofile out of the way (if any), also please start rkward from a directory that does not contain any .RData file. Double check that no workspace is loaded after starting up (ls (all.names=TRUE)). Does this change anything?
    5. Run
      ~~~~~~~~~~~
      sudo apt-get install gdb # if you don't already have gdb installed
      rkward --debugger gdb

At the gdb prompt, type:

start
    cont

Once you see the grayed window, go back to the terminal, and hit

Ctrl+C

then type

thread apply all bt full
    quit # Answer "y"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Copy the resulting output on the terminal and post it.

Thanks!
    Thomas

• Burfee

Burfee - 2013-05-07

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I installed konqueror because i didn't have it and noticed that when i opened it i encountered the same issue with the grayed window. I concluded that it was a KDE related issue.

I rebooted my laptop to see if this fixes it and now the problem is gone... i feel like I'm using windows now, not linux...

Thanks for all your help.

Best regards,
    Alex