problem with the function highlight

Help
Burfee
2012-05-11
2014-08-08
  • Burfee

Burfee - 2012-05-11

Hi,

I just installed rkward on ubuntu 12.04 x64 in a virtualbox machine.
    I have a problem with the function highlight (is that how it-s called?- the popup that shows you the functions parameters): I think the text is white on yellow and it cannot be read. See image:

Any suggestion?

• Thomas Friedrichsmeier

Hi!

Probably a problem with your color scheme. Please open the KDE System Settings, go to "Application Appearance"->"Colors", click the "Colors" tab, and try adjusting the color settings for tooltip background and tooltip text. You may have to restart RKWard to see an effect.

Some versions of RKWard also had bugs with respect to this. One such bug was fixed in version 0.5.7. If you are using an earlier version, consider upgrading (see https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel for a list of available PPAs for Ubuntu).

Regards
    Thomas

• Burfee

Burfee - 2012-05-16

i'm using rkward version 0.5.7. just checked the kde settings and set tooltip text color to black, but the problem persists.

i also have the same problem on another ubuntu 12.04 x64 system installed on a physical machine, so i think this is a bug.

• WRF

WRF - 2014-08-08

I am running ubuntu 12.04 x64 with rkward version 0.5.7 (on KDE Development Platform 4.8.5 (4.8.5))
      and I have the same error, the white text on yellow for the function dialog box.

This is probably something ubuntu related, as I kind of remember on 10.10 or 11.10 that the dialog box was white on blue, not sure why/how it changed.

• Thomas Friedrichsmeier

Grr. These tooltip colors keep causing trouble, somehow. Could you try some more things?

1. Does the "Tooltip Background" setting have any effect?
    2. Do the "Window Background/Text" settings have any effect?
    3. Can you look for simillar colors (light yellow, white) anywhere in the color settings? Does it help any to change those settings?

Also, please double check that you have actually applied the new color configuration (on this system, the color config dialog is a bit unresponsive at times), and that the colors remain unchanged after a restart of RKWard.

Thanks!

• Burfee

Burfee - 2012-05-16

1. The "Tooltip Background" change has no effect (tried with different colors). I restarted RKWard after i changed the color.
    2. The "Window Background" settings do have effect inside the KDE System Settings window (small because my windows decorator is GTK,), but didn't see any change inside RKWard window;
    3. Couldn't find that yellow color anywhere else, inside KDE System Settings or RKWard Fonts&Colors

• Burfee

Burfee - 2012-05-16

if you have time, you can easily reproduce the error by installing ubuntu 12.04 x64 on a virtualbox machine and then install RKWard… the bugcomes out of the box to put it this way :P

• Thomas Friedrichsmeier

Could you take a look at this bug report for libreoffice in Ubuntu https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/702451? The bug description contains this bit:

This is because the Ambiance theme (which is standard in Lucid) has white text as standard.
    The solution is to add the following code to
    .gtkrc-2.0
    style "tooltips" {
            fg[NORMAL] = { 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 }
            text[NORMAL] = { 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 }
    }
    widget "gtk-tooltips*" style "tooltips"

Does this work?

• Burfee

Burfee - 2012-05-16

ayway, if it's ubuntu bug, thank you for your effort and have a nice day.

• Burfee

Burfee - 2012-05-16

sorry for triple post… i don't encounter the same problem in libre office…