Menu

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lR

Help
yjacolin
2005-03-02
2013-01-15
  • yjacolin

yjacolin - 2005-03-02

Have you got any ideas ? I had all tyhe poroblems describe below and I resolved them but now i am blocking here, i think i almost finish !
    Thank you
    Y.

• Pierre

Pierre - 2005-03-03

It looks like ld doesn't find the Rlib. Did you check that the parameters you gave to ./configure were correct, especially the path to the RLib? Does /usr/lib/R/lib/ exist?

If it doesn't work, please post more informations about your system: version of R (if <2, consider upgrading), distro, etc.

Pierre

• yjacolin

yjacolin - 2005-03-03

I used R 1.9 then i updated to 2.
      I did :
      ./configure --with-extra-includes=/usr/lib/R/include/ --with-extra-libs=/usr/lib/R/lib/
      then make.
      I got :
      /bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=link --tag=CXX g++  -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common    -o rkward -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib/qt3//lib -L/usr/lib  -L/usr/lib/R/lib/ -R /usr/lib -R /usr/lib/qt3//lib -R /usr/X11R6/lib -R /usr/lib/R/lib/ rkwatch.o rkward.o main.o rkoutputwindow.o rkcommandeditor.o rkglobals.o robjectbrowser.o rkeditormanager.o robjectviewer.o rkward.moc.o rkwatch.moc.o  ../rkward/windows/libwindows.a ../rkward/agents/libagents.a ../rkward/dialogs/libdialogs.a ../rkward/plugin/libplugin.a ../rkward/settings/libsettings.a ../rkward/dataeditor/libdataeditor.a ../rkward/core/libcore.a ../rkward/rbackend/librbackend.a ../rkward/scriptbackends/libscriptbackends.a ../rkward/misc/libmisc.a -lkmdi -lkio -lkdeui -lkdecore -lqt-mt  -lz -lpng -lz -lm -lXext -lX11  -lSM -lICE -lpthread  -lR -lkatepartinterfaces
      /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lR
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      make[3]: *** [rkward] Erreur 1
      make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/yves/rkward-0.3.0/rkward'
      make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
      make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/yves/rkward-0.3.0/rkward'
      make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/yves/rkward-0.3.0'
      make: *** [all] Erreur 2
      in /usr/libR/lib, there is just "libRlapack.so".

Yves
      PS : does it better to reply by mail or in the forum ?

• yjacolin

yjacolin - 2005-03-03

I found what was not good. As you tell me in the post, the problem was that ./configure didn't find the libR. Of course not ! It did not exist. Why ? Because i used the R-baspackage made by mandrakesoft !
      I try the R package made by the R-project, the problem disappear !
      Thank you Pierre for your help !

Y.

• Pierre

Pierre - 2005-03-03

Thanks for posting your findings, Yves.
        It's good to know that Mandrake's package doesn't provide everything we need.

Pierre

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2005-05-31

Hi

I'm using the Fedora packages from CRAN, and they don't contain libR.so either. I have these packages:

R-2.1.0-0.fdr.2.fc3
          R-devel-2.1.0-0.fdr.2.fc3
          libRmath-2.1.0-0.fdr.2.fc3
          libRmath-devel-2.1.0-0.fdr.2.fc3

Is there an easy way to get the libR.so? I'd like to try out rkward but can't compile it (cvs), and I do not want to get into recompiling R.

Thanks
          Stephan

• Thomas Friedrichsmeier

Hi Stephan,

I'm afraid there is not currently an easy way to get libR.so without recompiling R. I have just contacted the maintainer of the Fedora R packages, suggesting to him to provide an alternative package of R containing libR.so. I can't tell, yet, whether he will do so, but once I get his reply, I'll post about it in this thread.
            Meanwhile, if you're feeling venturous, I guess you could give the SuSE-rpms (also on CRAN) a try. I really don't know whether those will work with Fedora, and I don't have any machines to test on. However, those seem to provide libR.so.
            Sorry I can't offer you any better solutions at this time.

Thomas

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2005-05-31

Hi Thomas,

thanks. Let's hope the packager will include it some time.

At the moment I don't really want to experiment with my R installation, so I just have to wait, I guess....

Thanks again
              Stephan

• Thomas Friedrichsmeier

Ok, I promised to post an update once I got an answer from the fedora package maintainer. He tells me that he is indeed likely to provide an alternative package containing the shared library.
                So hopefully there will be a solution, soon.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2005-06-22

Hi,

just updated the rpm for Fedora 3, there was a new version a few days ago. It now contains libR.so, and I can now (for the first time ever!) compile rkward.

Thanks for all your help
                  Cheers
                  Stephan

• Pierre

Pierre - 2005-06-22

Hi Stephan!

This rocks! It's good to know that they eventually did it. Thanks for the feedback.

Pierre