Menu

R Indentation

Help
2010-05-21
2013-01-15
  • Frank Harrell

Frank Harrell - 2010-05-21

I have not been able to make rkward do automatic R-style indentation in the script editor.  I would like to have this perform as with ESS under Emacs with auto-indenting when entering {, further indenting on the line after the opening {, revert to previous indent level with closing }, etc.  Thanks for any assistance.
    Frank

• Thomas Friedrichsmeier

Hi,

Personally, I am not a fan of automatic indentation, so maybe I'm missing something. However, you can select an indentation mode using Edit->Tools Move->Indentation (probably C-style comes closest). You can set the default indentation mode using (open a script window, first) Settings->Configure Editor->Editing->Indentation.

Regards
    Thomas

• Frank Harrell

Frank Harrell - 2010-05-21

Thanks for your reply Thomas.  C style goes part of the way, but it does not further indent the next line after a line containing {.
    I find that the ESS indenting style makes for more readable R code.
    Frank

• Thomas Friedrichsmeier

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. When I type

f <- function () {

using C style indentation, the next line will be (further) indented automatically. Something that does not work is this example:

f <- function () { something

Is this what you mean? (But then, this coding style does not really make for readable code at all in my opinion).

• Frank Harrell

Frank Harrell - 2010-05-22

Here's an example:

if(1==2)
    {
        y <- 1
    }

is what appears.  I would like the { indented as per a popular R formatting style:

if(1==2)
        {
            y <- 1
        }

Having function arguments automatically indented in continuation lines would also be nice:

lm(y ~ x,
         data=d)

Frank

• Thomas Friedrichsmeier

Hi again,

first, for clarification, here are your examples in "code"-tags, to make them display correctly in this forum:

if(1==2)
    {
        y <- 1
    }

if(1==2)
        {
            y <- 1
        }

lm(y ~ x,
         data=d)

Now, I guess tastes differ. Personally, I find that style rather appalling ;-). But if this matters to you, and you are willing to invest a bit of time, you can write an indentation script yourself. See http://dhaumann.blogspot.com/2007/07/kate-scripting-indentation.html and http://dhaumann.blogspot.com/2007/07/kate-more-on-indentation-scripting.html . Consider posting your results to this forum or to rkward-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, then we can include this in a future release.

Regards
    Thomas

• Frank Harrell

Frank Harrell - 2010-05-22

Thanks Thomas - I will look into this in the future.  This default style in ESS is quite nice in the view of many R programmers.