Menu

Backup only took seconds

Anonymous
2022-05-13
2022-05-19
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2022-05-13

I have a Dell PC that I'm backing up, I select the drives and backup to another USB that is attached. The process takes all of 30 seconds, which seems way to fast for 465 GB which files are 40GB. When it is time to restore to a different Dell PC of the same configuration. I don't see any changes, I place files in different folders on the backed up system and they are not there after I restore. Telling me that the backup and restore didn't work. Trying to figure out what I'm missing , for why it is not working. The process doesn't seem to be overly complicated but I have never used this program.
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2022-05-13

I posted the above, I just tried to restore the image to an identical Dell system that wasn't working. The image didn't restore it to a working system. Still trying to figure out what is going on.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2022-05-13

I noticed on the image there was"sda1 dd Raw image not yet supported" for one of the partitions. May be the reason it did not backup. Suggestions?

• Rescuezilla

Rescuezilla - 2022-05-14

Yes, it's almost certain that something went wrong during the backup.

It should have given you an error message both as a popup and in the summary.

The fact that sda1 is a raw dd image suggests that the filesystem was somehow misinterpreted.

Please upload the file named clonezilla-img here, or send it to rescuezilla at gmail and I can take a look.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2022-05-16

Thanks, very appreciated for your input and looking at the information. I have two different files. one with using compression and one not. If more information is need let me know

• Rescuezilla

Rescuezilla - 2022-05-17

OK, your first partition ("sda1") is the Microsoft Reserved Partition which is expected to be a raw dd backup and very small. It's expected that this partition would be skipped using Rescuezilla when verifying.

Your second partition is the NTFS partition that should contain all your data, and I can confirm it only took 2 seconds for a 465GB data that you suggest contains 40GB of files.

This is certainly incorrect and your backup image is bad. But partclone itself reported success:

Backup /dev/sda2 containing filesystem ntfs to /mnt/backup/RZ_Backup/2022-05-13-1335-img-rescuezilla/sda2.ntfs-ptcl-img.uncomp.
    Running: partclone.ntfs --logfile /var/log/partclone.log --clone --source /dev/sda2 --output - | cat - | split --suffix-length=2 --bytes=4GB - /mnt/backup/RZ_Backup/2022-05-13-1335-img-rescuezilla/sda2.ntfs-ptcl-img.uncomp. 
    Not yet interpreting partclone output: Partclone v0.3.13 http://partclone.org
    Not yet interpreting partclone output: Starting to clone device (/dev/sda2) to image (-)
    Not yet interpreting partclone output: Reading Super Block
    Not yet interpreting partclone output: Elapsed: 00:00:01, Remaining: 00:01:39, Completed:   1.00%
    Not yet interpreting partclone output: Elapsed: 00:00:01, Remaining: 00:00:00, Completed: 100.00%
    Not yet interpreting partclone output: Total Time: 00:00:01, 100.00% completed!
    Not yet interpreting partclone output: File system:  NTFS
    Updating progress bar to 0.010265694355043306Not yet interpreting partclone output: Total Time: 00:00:02, Ave. Rate:    3.4GB/min, 100.00% completed!
    Updating progress bar to 1.0Not yet interpreting partclone output: Syncing... OK!
    Not yet interpreting partclone output: Partclone successfully cloned the device (/dev/sda2) to the image (-)

Rescuezilla (like Clonezilla) uses partclone internally, so that tool needs to generate an error for Rescuezilla to realize something went wrong and display it to the user.

This problem is most likely an issue with partclone rather than your hard drive. It may have been fixed or otherwise reported at that project. I will have to investigate. The version of partclone used by Rescuezilla v2.3.1 is relatively old.

By the way, which version of Windows are you using? Is it Windows 11?

Last edit: Rescuezilla 2022-05-17
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2022-05-17

Windows 10, the back story to this is I'm trying to create an image. First removing all of the Bloatware then load some specific software. Next use Sysprep , boot to USB to clone. Once cloned use the image to other drives for a deployment. Rescuezilla seemed a good way to go as I'm still searching for other software to do this task.

• Rescuezilla

Rescuezilla - 2022-05-17

Rescuezilla is a good way to go for this task, but it has failed you. I need to update to the latest versions of the internal tool partclone.

If you're OK with a confusing text-based interface, Clonezilla should have versions with more up-to-date packages that may yield better results.

Alternatively, Macrium Reflect is a popular commercial tool that I believe has a free version.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2022-05-18

I had similar results Clonezilla, I can try it again. Thanks for the other suggestions, I will look into Macrium Reflect. Hopefully there will be an update for Rescuezilla soon. Thanks

• Rescuezilla

Rescuezilla - 2022-05-18

Thanks for confirming the issue occurs in Clonezilla too.

Could you please confirm the filename of the Clonezilla ISO you used?

There are many variants of Clonezilla, but (unlike Rescuezilla) all use a very recent version of partclone compiled from source code.

The fact that you can reproduce the situation where partclone reported success when the image failed is a major bug in partclone, and it I would like to be investigate why and report it at https://github.com/Thomas-Tsai/partclone/issues

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2022-05-18

Clonezilla that I tried was clonezilla-live-20220103-impish-amd64
    Thanks again for your follow up

• Rescuezilla

Rescuezilla - 2022-05-19

I have reported the issue on the partclone project here: https://github.com/Thomas-Tsai/partclone/issues/185 (and created a ticket on the Rescuezilla GitHub here: https://github.com/rescuezilla/rescuezilla/issues/328)

If anybody reading (including yourself) has more detail to share, please do at the partclone link above.

I feel like I've seen or heard about this issue before.

For completeness, clonezilla-live-20220103-impish-amd64 uses partclone v0.3.18 (and Rescuezilla v2.3.1's most up-to-date variant "Impish" uses partclone v0.3.13).

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a long-standing bug that some NTFS partitions can experience.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2022-05-19

Is it possible to check /var/log/partclone.log ?

Usually, The partclone will show the bitmap information, like total, used blocks, but I can't get it from your logs. I guess partclone can't read your NTFS bitmap correctly, so it backup 0 blocks. And that is why clon successfully.

Is it possible manually run partclone? you can try to add -d3 option like:

partclone.ntfs -d3 --logfile /var/log/partclone.log --clone --source /dev/sda2 --output - | cat - | split --suffix-length=2 --bytes=4GB - /mnt/backup/2022-05-13-1045-img-rescuezilla/sda2.ntfs-ptcl-img.uncomp.

Option "d3" can collect more messages like bitmap test results..., which can help us understand the detail.

Thank you.

• Thomas

Thomas - 2022-05-19

To prevent generating an image, we can run this to create a bitmap domain file only.

partclone.ntfs -d3 --logfile /var/log/partclone.log -D -c -s /dev/sda2 -o filesystem.map

then please upload partclone.log and filesystem.map.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel