REXX - spaces removed when passed as argument

Help
2003-05-08
2003-05-23
  • robert godwin

robert godwin - 2003-05-08

HELP Please! I am running a command within a REXX command file to run another REXX command, passing a parameter e.g.

COMMAND1.CMD AAABBB[space][space]CCC

With Command1.cmd starting:

ARG MSG

The problem is that the variable MSG then seems to have lost one of the spaces e.g.:
    AAABBB[space]CCC

Can anyone offer explanation and resolution?

Thanks
    Rob

• Mark V

Mark V - 2003-05-09

I see it too with 3.2 on Win32.  Even with
      msg = ARG(1)
      which as I understand it should represent the entire argument w/o collapsing spaces ('20'x).

• robert godwin

robert godwin - 2003-05-09

OK, thanks. Luckily in my current project the string will always be the same format so I can just add a  a space between the first half of the string and the second half but its a bit of a pain. Thanks for you help on this one. (Again!)

• robert godwin

robert godwin - 2003-05-22

In case anyone is interested - resolution to this explained in Bug #623599

• robert godwin

robert godwin - 2003-05-23

its no good...I still cant get this to work. My work around isnt feasible after all. The explaination in bug #623599 works if the parameters are hard coded but as I am passing both command and parameter as a variable, it fails. e.g.

'rexx' '"mycomand.cmd"' '"123   456   789"'
      will work.

CMDNAME = mycomand.cmd
      PARAM = "123   456   789"   
      'rexx' '"CMDNAME"' '"PARAM"'

wont work. (I wont go into details but we cant change this logic). I have tried using "CALL" but that throws an error.   Any suggestions? Thanks

• robert godwin

robert godwin - 2003-05-23

OK, i've cracked it now by adding [single quote][double quote][single quote] at either side of the parameter variable PARAM i.e.:
      PARAM = '"'PARAM'"'
      Thanks anyway