Unexpected behavior of rxstack.exe?

Help
Mark V
2002-05-17
2016-03-18
  • Mark V

Mark V - 2002-05-17

RXSTACK:
    Regina 3.0 (Win32) pre-compiled executables.
    Win2000 Pro, SP2
    Regina Rexx: REXX-Regina_3.0 4.95 25 Apr 2002
    RXSTACK.EXE version 3.0.0.0
    Other system notes:
      The firewall rule is "loose".  Any outgoing or incoming by rxstack.exe is permitted on TCP on any port.
      A-V realtime monitoring On or Off does not make a difference.

Unexpected behavior of rxstack.exe?

Using rxstack.exe here exhibits these behaviors on my system.  I am interested to know if this is a problem with my configuration or whether other users see the same results.  All observations below are on a single system (no TCP-based multi-host communication).

(1)
    RXSTACK.EXE -i:
    (A)
    Service installs but upon every service start the following is posted in Event Log:
       Type: Error
       Source:  Regina Stack
       Event ID: 0
       Description:  "The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Regina Stack ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Regina Stack error: 997, Listening on port: 5757."

Although it appears that rxstack should "RegisterEventSource" it does not do so.
    What registry entries are needed for EventLog Service?

(B)
    Stopping the Service:
       Type: Error
       Source: ServiceControlManager
       Event ID: 7023
       Description: The Regina Stack service terminated with the following error:
    Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

?  This may be related to the following item.

(2)
    Once "Regina Stack" service is running and the stack is available:
      When running a Rexx script that makes any access to the stack a NEW instance of rxstack listening on port TCP 5757 is created.
      For example Kerio Personal Firewall will show something like this:
        RXSTACK.EXE  TCP  all:5757  --- Listening   17/May/2002 05:02:45
        RXSTACK.EXE  TCP  all:5757  --- Listening   00/.../0000 00:00:00
      With a new entry for each Rexx program instance that makes external queue (stack) access of any kind.
      These DO NOT timeout or go away.  They will increase by one in number with each use by an instance of Regina.
      They can only be cleared by stopping the Regina Stack Service.

(3)
    "RXQUEUE(command[,queue])"
    " [T]  (Timeout) Sets the timeout period (in milliseconds) to wait for something to appear on the specified queue. By default, when a line is read from a queue will a PULL command, it either returns immediately with the top line in the stack, or it will wait for a line to be entered by the user via the process' stdin. If 0 is specified, Regina will wait forever for a line to be ready on the stack."
      [example provided] "RXQUEUE('Timeout', queuename, 10)"

This example produces this error:
      "REXX error 40 in line 49: Incorrect call to routine"
      "=====>    INTERPRET __temp__"

On the assumption that the currently Set queue need not be named, issuing RXQUEUE('T', , 10) results in the same error.
    However, issuing RXQUEUE('T', 10) does return 0 (zero).  The problem is that after apparently setting the Timeout successfully, the following error is returned (sometimes) in a later use of the queue:
      "REXX error 94 in line 49: [External queue interface error]"
      "=====>    INTERPRET __temp__"

This does not (seem) to occur if a Timeout value is not set.
    Also, the Timeout is not effective and a PULL will wait forever.
    In other words, having apparently set the Timeout value of the current external queue, queue operations become unreliable and unstable for the remainder of the session.  Stop/Start of rxstack service will clear this condition.
    Elsewhere in the documentation: "... [WaitFlag]...Regina does not support this option at this stage; RXQUEUE_NOWAIT is assumed" is found.  This may indicate that the "T" (Timeout) is not implemented?

(3)
    The environment variables "RXSTACK" and "RXQUEUE" are mentioned by name in the documentation for RXQUEUE.EXE, but I cannot locate any additional information on the appropriate Values and their meaning.

Any observations, comments, pointers or explanations would be most welcome.  Thank you.
    2002-05-17

• Florian Grosse-Coosmann

Hi,

rxstack and rxqueue and the whole external stack processing is changed heavily in this days. There are many bugs and leakages.

Version 3.0.1 may help a little bit but I think you have to wait for 3.1 for a better version.

Cheers, Florian

• Mark V

Mark V - 2002-12-02

Just an update.
      Regina (Win32) 3.1 Beta-6
      W2K, SP3

No improvement in rxstack.exe (and/or rxqueue.exe).  In fact, worse.  Now not only un-usable, but I have had rxstack service crash or fail to stop and hogging cpu cycles.  Reboot required. -sigh-

Many details available, but only if you want them. <G>

• Paul McCarthy

Paul McCarthy - 2008-03-26

Hello Mark and all,

Yes, I notice it's been several years since you posted and I'm getting this same message in my event log on Windows XP Pro every time the system boots up...

Event Type:    Error
      Event Source:    Regina Stack
      Event Category:    None
      Event ID:    0
      Date:        3/26/2008
      Time:        5:37:26 PM
      User:        N/A
      Computer:    PAUL-2
      Description:
      The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Regina Stack ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Regina Stack error: 0, Listening on port: 5757.

I'm a little unsure of what it means, however.

Is this just supposed to be an 'Information' message that the Regina Stack has started?  I haven't really done much with Regina, or Rexx,... except run the demos... but, I haven't seen any indication that this 'Error' message in the event log indicates anything of concern?

Does anyone know?  Can we just ignore this event log error event?

Thanks,

• J. M. Thomas

J. M. Thomas - 2016-03-18

For what it's worth...

Regina 3.9 on XP Pro SP4unofficial -- I'm also getting the same message. As I don't often use the stack, I can't say as to the other problems mentioned.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks