Menu

Is there a way to change the order of entries?

2017-11-19
2017-11-19
  • Ethan Sommer

Ethan Sommer - 2017-11-19

My most recently added distro is my main use one, so I'd like to be able to make it at the front of the list, even though it's the last partition. Is that possible?

• Roderick W. Smith

Yes, but only by creating manual boot stanzas. When auto-scanning, rEFInd gets information on partitions, directories, and files in whatever order the firmware delivers that information, which is essentially arbitrary. rEFInd does not sort these entries (except for Linux kernels in a single directory), so you're pretty much stuck with what rEFInd delivers.

If you create manual boot stanzas, you can specify them in whatever order you like. Note that if you only want to move one item to the front of the list, you need only create one entry, then hide its auto-detected equivalent. The order of scan types in the scanfor line determines the order in which rEFInd scans for loader types, so if you create a manual entry for the item you want first and then put manual first in the scanfor line, your manual entry will be first in the list.

Note that this may be unnecessary, though; you can use the default_selection item to make your preferred entry the default, no matter where it is in the list. This handles the bulk of the practical reasons you might have for wanting to sort items.

• Ethan Sommer

Ethan Sommer - 2017-11-19

Oh yeah there's definitely no practical reason, it's just a small thing I'd like, do you have a link to an example of a manual boot stanza?

• Roderick W. Smith

Manual boot stanzas are covered in detail in the rEFInd documentation:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/configfile.html#stanzas