Menu

After update, can't get rid of extra Legacy OS...

billhughes
2018-04-30
2018-05-03
  • billhughes

billhughes - 2018-04-30

Hello!

I updated to the newest refind version a few days ago, and now my Bootcamp partition is generating a "Boot Lagacy OS from FAT Volume" icon (in addition to the normal Windows boot icon), and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Removing hdbios from scanfor removes both options to boot Windows. Because it says the legacy OS is on a FAT volume, I assume it's getting the info from the refind EFI partition, but the only two drivers installed are refind_x64.efi and ext4_x64.efi (for linux).

It's a cosmatic thing, but I'd like to get rid of that extra icon. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• mfvianna

mfvianna - 2018-04-30

There is a number of ways that can be used to hide undesired entries. Some of them:

• Use the dont_scan_volumes, dont_scan_dirs, dont_scan_files options (some may not be useful for hiding legacy OS entries, though).

• The most simple and yet effective one: Navigate to the undesired option and press the [-] (minus) or the [delete] key. The entry will magically diappear and rEFInd will remember this between reboots. This feature was implemented in versions 0.11.0 and above (I suggest that you include the hidden_tags tool in the showtools option in refind.conf as it will allow you to recover accidentally removed entries.

In addition, I suggest that you read the rEFInd config file documentation and the comments in refind.conf-sample file provided with rEFInd. They are good sources of info on how to handle such situations.

Good luck

Last edit: mfvianna 2018-04-30
  • billhughes

billhughes - 2018-05-02

Hi (again) mfvianna. Unfortunately, I have a Mac so the minus-sign/delete key thing doesn't work.

Under dont_scan_volumes, I've tried many different syntaxes - the volume name, the UUID, the device path, all without success.

Any tips? For example, given the following, what's the correct dont_scan_volumes entry:

Vol name = Windows10
    Device = dont_scan_volumes
    UUID = A836510E3650DF3E

The documentation states that getting rid of legacy volumes is a tricky thing, and may not always work. If that's the case, I may downgrade a version or two of refind until the legacy entry disappears (casuse it wasn't there before I upgraded from version .9xx

Thanks, and I owe ya beer. :)

• mfvianna

mfvianna - 2018-05-02

Currently I don't use any Legacy OS (strongly pursuing the no-windows-freedom. I still rarely use it in a VM with vmplayer, but this is more and more rare - Cheers to Codeweaver's crossover that allows me to run MS Office directly on Linux).

So, I'm not sure I can help much with Legacy OSes as there is a long time I last used one and I don't remember if there is any catch or pitfall regarding the option's syntax.

One piece of hope for you is that, as long as you don't configure rEFInd to hide them, it shows the volume information on the bottom of the screen for each boot entry when you navigate through them (something like "boot <that_os> from <that_volume>" or something like this). So, I suggest that, while you are trying, you comment out all "hideui" lines from your refind.conf). As far as I understand/remember, the "dont_scan_volumes option" will hide entries even if you specify just a substring of the volume name, but I confess I'm not 100% sure here.

Anyway, have you tried the "hidden_tags" feature? I believe this is the best alternative and it is very simple to maintain, you can directly hide entries from the rEFInd interface. I'm pretty sure it does work with Legacy OS entries.

Good luck

• mfvianna

mfvianna - 2018-05-02

OBS: All my computers are Macs (1 Mac Mini and 2 macbooks). I see no reason for the "delete" and the "minus" keys not to work.

IMPORTANT: in order for these keys to work for hiding entries, you have to include the "hidden_tags" tool in the "showtools" line in refind.conf

Last edit: mfvianna 2018-05-02
  • billhughes

billhughes - 2018-05-02

Ahhhh.... I missed that requirement of hidden_tags in showtools. Now it works as advertised. :)

My triple-boot MacBook Pro is now humming along like an Indy race car. Thanks again for the help.

• mfvianna

mfvianna - 2018-05-03

You are welcome :-)