Joe van Tunen - 2013-04-22

Mac OS X uses 2 special Apple_Boot type partitions.

"Recovery HD" - Every Lion and Mountain Lion partition might have one of these. They need a Recovery HD if they are encrypted with File Vault. This partition is used to boot the OS partition if the OS partition is encrypted.

"Boot OS X" - Every RAID partition will have one of these. A single RAID will have one for each slice that comprises the RAID. The "Boot OS X" partition is used to boot an OS on the RAID.

These partitions exist after the partition they are related too.

It's difficult to distinguish each of them apart from each other since they always have the same name.

You could automatically create a descriptive name for "Recovery HD" partitions by appending the name of the previous non-Apple_Boot partition like this:
"Recovery HD for MyLion". I'm not sure if that would work for OS's that are encrypted with File Vault. I haven't gotten File Vault to work on my computer. The question would be, is the encrypted volume name at least visible?

I don't see a way to do that for "Boot OS X" partitions since the volume name of the RAID is not visible. You would need a method to override the name by parition GUID or allow a VolumeName.txt file to override the name (like VolumeIcon.icns or VolumeBadge.icns). The same VolumeName.txt file could be used to override the name of "Recovery HD" partitions and "EFI" partitions. The user could describe the associated OS of the Recovery partition or the user can describe the disk containing the EFI partition.

Using files to define options (like VolumeIcon.icns or VolumeBadge.icns, VolumeName.txt) for a boot loader will obviate the need to create code to implement overriding stanzas with various matching parameters except in the case where a file system driver does not exist to allow loading the files.