Menu

Does refind support boot from luks devices

Sving 1024
2024-07-03
2024-07-06
  • Sving 1024

Sving 1024 - 2024-07-03

I encrypted the root partition to a luks device. the kernel (vmlinuz and initrd) is also encrypted.(i nearly used up the spare space in efi partition) I wonder if refind supports or will support boot from this device since i didnt find anything about it in the docs.

• Roderick W. Smith

rEFInd relies upon the EFI to read the kernel file. If the EFI cannot read a device natively, it requires a driver, such as the ext4fs and other Linux filesystem drivers provided with rEFInd. AFAIK, there's no EFI driver to read LUKS devices, so AFAIK, at present, rEFInd doesn't support reading kernels from them. In theory, this limitation could be fixed by writing an EFI LUKS driver.

A more practical workaround at the moment is to store your kernel and initramfs on a partition that rEFInd can read. In Linux, this is easily done during OS installation by creating a separate /boot partition that is not encrypted. Post-installation, splitting off a separate /boot partition is possible, but may require re-sizing one or more partitions to make room for it. Alternatively, the kernel and initramfs can be stored on the ESP (usually mounted at /boot/efi or /efi under Linux); however, the details of how to make this work seamlessly vary from one distribution to another.