Link to fulltext version

adrianbj
2008-01-28
2013-05-28
  • adrianbj

adrianbj - 2008-01-28

Just a thought - I think that at times many of us baulk at opening a PDF to get a quick idea of what an article is about. Since many online journals have full text HTML versions of articles available, I think it would be great to have a field to store this link and have a link to it next to the full record and PDF links.

Thanks,
    Adrian

• Richard Karnesky

You may use DOI and/or URL for this.
      --Rick

• adrianbj

adrianbj - 2008-01-28

Hi Rick,

I gotta start looking around better - I knew of the doi, but had forgotten the url field.

Sorry!

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Adrian,

> Since many online journals have full text HTML versions of
      > articles available, I think it would be great to have a field to
      > store this link and have a link to it next to the full record and
      > PDF links.

I agree that it makes sense to link to the full text HTML version of an article. As Rick points out, the current workaround would be to use the URL field to link to the full text HTML version of an article (instead of linking to its abstract page).

Generally, I'd like to provide support for multiple web links, files and foreign identifiers, this was discussed partially here:

https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1904430&forum_id=218758

It would be the most flexible solution to simply allow the user/admin to add multiple links for a particular record. And ideally, the admin could define certain default types.

Also, for each link, it would be useful if one could add a short description about the type of the link (or choose from a predefined set of types such as "more info", "web site", "full-text HTML version", "supplementary material", etc). This discription could be added as a label or tool tip, and the link icon could be adopted based on the chosen type.

If refbase had an accompanying journal database, we could also store URL templates for automatic generation of links.

Just thinking out loud...

Matthias

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks