SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

controls for visability of references/files

2004-09-22
2013-05-28
  • Craig Ganoe

Craig Ganoe - 2004-09-22

Maybe this feature is already in there, but the labeling isn't clear.  We'd also like to be able to use RefBase to share papers that we have submitted to journals/conferences/etc. between the people in our research group.  We wouldn't want any info about them to be available publicly, only to those who are logged in.  Other papers, due to copyright reasons, we might want the citation to be public, but the file only downloadable to people who are logged in.

So, having a couple of flags/checkboxes in the record entry/edit to specify if the citation should be public, and if associated file(s) should be public would be useful.

Also, a general question, what's the status on the stuff in CVS?  Can other folks work on this and contribute?

Thanks!

Craig

• Richard Karnesky

> We'd also like to be able to use RefBase to share papers that we have
      > submitted to journals/conferences/etc. between the people in our research
      > group. We wouldn't want any info about them to be available publicly,
      > only to those who are logged in.
      Not currently implemented, as far as I know.  Matthias has said he wants user-specific rights like this, but it would take some work.

The bibliographic content would still be available publicly, but the pdf wouldn't.  If you are concerned about having a publicly available title, etc., a work-around would be to have little information in the publicly-accessible fields & create a specific refbase user for your group to share.  Then things can be stored in the user notes.

> Other papers, due to copyright reasons, we might want the citation to be
      > public, but the file only downloadable to people who are logged in.
      Currently, users must be logged in to download ANY paper.  In my deployment, I have modified refbase so that any reference on which the Professor of my research group appears in the author field is also accessible.  I guess a suitable alternative would be to allow the pdfs for references that are part of your "library" to be visible.  Other fields can be coopted similarly until user-specific and/or article-specific rights are better implemented.

> Also, a general question, what's the status on the stuff in CVS? Can
      > other folks work on this and contribute?
      The CVS is starting to look better--Matthias checked in a bunch of stuff a few weeks ago.  It doesn't yet seem to represent the development branch that he graciously provided to me.  I am <VERY slowly> contributing by adding a feature, rather than by modifying any of Matthias's source files.  Jochen Wendebaum is adding international support, so Matthias finally does have co-conspirators.

--Rick

• Craig Ganoe

Craig Ganoe - 2004-09-27

>Currently, users must be logged in to download ANY paper.

Doh!  How did I miss that.  Yes, you are correct.  Thanks for all the info.