Help save net neutrality! Learn more.
Close

approve from inline citation list

2007-09-21
2013-05-28
  • Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2007-09-21

I would suggest to build in a function to set the "approved - yes" field with the Inline citations.
    Normally all used citations should be approved.
    And maybe an additional function to mark not approved citations in the "extract citation list" with red color.

No problem for me to do the first suggestion with SQL but maybe it would be a nice feature for absolute SQL newbies.

Regards Knut

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Knut, sorry for the late reply!

> I would suggest to build in a function to set the "approved - yes" field with the Inline citations.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this, can you elaborate?

> Normally all used citations should be approved.

I agree with you. However, it was a deliberate decision to keep the scope of the "approved" field somewhat generic so that it can be used differently in different contexts/implementations. While it's true that (by default) the "approved" field is meant to be used to identify records that have been approved for data correctness, other refbase implementations may use this field to indicate some other kind of approval.

> And maybe an additional function to mark not approved citations in the "extract citation list" with red color.

I understand that this could be useful. But due to the current generic nature of the "approved" field such a color coding feature may be misleading for some refbase applications. So, if we'd implement something along those lines, it should be optional I guess. I'd be also interested to hear what other people think about this.

Thanks, Matthias

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2007-10-02

> sorry for the late reply!
        no problem :-)

>I'm not really sure what you mean by this, can you elaborate?
        My workflow is:
        writing ;-)
        building the reference list with the inline citations.
        Proof reading the references.
        Correcting wrong data
        building the reference list again
        in this last step it would be helpful to get an Checkbox for "auto approve"
        means all records will be flagged with approved when the checkbox is marked - because all are checked

Regards Knut

• Daniel Stepputtis

Hi Knut and Matthias,
          I fully agree with Knut, that this feature would be great. It would definitely speed up the creation of a proper citation list when you know, that you only have to check (lets say) 10 out of 100 references in your list (because you have checked the other 90 before). But we may put this on the long term wish list.
          Hope everything is well with you!

Best regards
          Daniel

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Knut, I'm not sure your proposed changes make sense for other users, the feature seems a little bit too specific to me, but of course I could be wrong... I think I'd like more input from other users to get convinced that a checkbox for automatic record approval is a good thing.

Also, I think that, if we'd add such a feature, it should be added to the existing batch actions below the search results, and not on the extract citations page ('extract.php'). In addition, we'd probably need to introduce two new permissions ( "allow_approval" and "allow_batch_approval") so that admins can control who has permissions for (batch) approval of records.

As a workaround, you could make a copy of file 'cite/styles/cite_TextCitation.php', rename it and modify it so that it only outputs record serials in a way that is suitable for inclusion in an SQL query. Then, after you've verified all of your references for correctness, you could use 'extract.php' together with this new cite style to output all record serials, e.g. like this:

"^(1|2|123|456|7890)$"

You could then copy this string and execute an appropriate SQL query (via 'sql_search.php' when logged in as admin):

UPDATE refs SET approved = "yes" WHERE serial RLIKE "^(1|2|123|456|7890)$"

This is certainly more work then your proposed checkbox for automatic approval, but it'll get the job done easily enough (IMHO). And the new cite style might be useful in other admin situations as well.

Matthias

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2007-10-03

Hi Matthias, thank's for the reminder ;-)
        I have already a modified TextCitiaion Style and a php script which is doing a batch deleting of double entries.
        I will extend this script to batch approve.
        I really forgot that I have both ...

Knut