Mark record if only one Record is available

2007-06-04
2013-05-28
  • Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2007-06-04

Hi to all,
    is there a possibility to mark the record if there is one result on the search screen by default,
    and the same at the page where the record is displayed (loupe button)
    It happens often that the user forget to mark the record befor exporting the citation and the checkbox at the "loupe" page is mostly unvisible at the top when the user is choosing the citation at the bottom..
    Knut

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Knut, I agree with you that this is a common pitfall. I have seen users in our institute struggle with this, and I must admit that it happens to me as well. I've thought about this issue earlier (and discussed it with others in my institute) but with no satisfying results. While we could surely select a record by default (if there's only a single record displayed), this would introduce some inconsistency which is not good from an interface point of view. Also, I'm not sure if this would actually improve the situation. Instead, it could cause even more confusion for a user since she needs to actively think about whether a record needs to be selected or not prior to citing/exporting them. As it is now, records always need to be selected, which IMHO is easier to remember than a "mixed" situation. An alternative would be to select *all* records by default, however, this poses new problems, such as inadvertent mass exports with possibly long (and confusing) execution delays.

What do others think about this issue?

Matthias

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2007-06-04

Hi Matthias
        what about this workaround for the single page:
        Place the mark box from the view page (loupe) at the bottom.

Regards Knut

• Richard Karnesky

I think we should leave everything unmarked by default.  It is much easier to select a few individual records than DESELECT them.

If a query is received that expects marked records (citation, export, etc.) but doesn't get any, we could then act as if all records on the page were marked.  Since we have a low number of records per page by default, I think this would still be reasonably good behavior.

--Rick

• Matthias Steffens

Duplicating the checkbox in Details View to the lower part of the page might work, though I'd prefer to *reduce* the number of elements, not add additional ones. IMHO, the refbase interface is already pretty complex and we should strive to simplify it (this is one of our major goals for a post-1.0 release).

I'd agree that selecting the records one is interesting in is easier (and much more intuitive) than deselecting those that one isn't interested in. Especially if one is only interested in a few records on a page, then deselecting records would quickly become tedious, and people would probably have to click "Deselect all" first, then select again individual records.

I like the idea of treating no selection (upon export/citation) similar to all records being selected. But as Rick metions, this would only work well for pages containing a low or moderate number of records. Technically this would probably mean that we'd need to pass the record's serial number within yet another form field (since, IIRC, the value of the checkbox is only submitted when selected), but it should be doable.

Matthias

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2007-06-05

isn't there a possibility to run someting like:
      if $nothingChecked
        if ($rowsFound == 1)
          mark_all(.....)

instead of the page
      "No records selected! Please select one or more records by clicking the appropriate checkboxes.  Go Back

Knut"

• Matthias Steffens

It depends what you mean by "mark_all(...)". Upon citation or export, it's probably not helpful to route back[*] to the record's page and select it (by actually marking the record's checkbox). Instead, if nothing was selected on a page, we could treat the records as if they had all been selected, as Rick suggests. This logic would also work for single-record pages so no exceptions need to be made.

[*]  Note that the variables and logic you're mentioning are processed by 'search.php' *after* the page has been submitted by the user.

Matthias