Switching from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 and I18N

2004-05-11
2013-05-28
  • Jungshik Shin

Jungshik Shin - 2004-05-11

Firstly, thanks for making this wonderful software.

I'm gonna use refbase for keeping the bibliography of my research group. However, there's one problem that needs to be addressed before the full deployment. I need to store non-Latin-1 characters in my db so that ISO-8859-1 is not a good choice for me. Given that some major Linux distributions (e.g. RedHat) still ships rathe old mysql 3.x (which doesn't support multi-byte character encodings, especially UTF-8), you may not have had a much choice (although refbase is not only for Linux and it's not very hard to compile mysql 4.x or 5.x with good Unicode support). Nonetheless, it'll be a good idea to think about switching from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 so that refbase can contain records in virtually any script/language.

• Matthias Steffens

Dear Jungshik Shin,

you're absolutely right about switching from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8. It should be possible to set your preferred script/language when installing the refbase package. However, as you mention, Unicode (UTF-8) support would require MySQL 4.1 or greater.

Thanks for your feedback, we highly appreciate your input!
      Best regards, Matthias

• Matthias Steffens

The coming version of refbase will optionally support Unicode (UTF-8) if MySQL 4.1.x or greater is installed. This feature has been implemented "successfully" but is still kinda experimental and may require some further testing/fine-tuning. Checkout the CVS versions if you're interested.

Best, Matthias

• Nils

Nils - 2005-02-23

Hi Matthias,

I have the same problem with german references that include umlauts like '' or ''... I thought about the replacement filter in the ini-file, but this is not applied to author names etc, so this would not work as a workaround in some way for me...

Is there already (a very rough) release date? Just something like: in the second half of 2005, in 2006... ;)

Regards,

Nils

• Matthias Steffens

> I have the same problem with german references that include umlauts
        > like '' or ''... I thought about the replacement filter in the
        > ini-file, but this is not applied to author names etc, so this
        > would not work as a workaround in some way for me...

Hi Nils,

refbase v0.7 shouldn't have any problems with characters belonging to the iso-latin character set (i.e., "latin1" = "ISO-8859-1, Western European"). All german or scandinavian characters are supported by "latin1" and shouldn't pose any problems using refbase v0.7.

For refbase version > 0.7 (like the current versions from the Sourceforge CVS) the same holds true if the database was installed using the "latin1" character set -and- if the '$contentTypeCharset' variable in 'ini.inc.php' is set to 'ISO-8859-1'.

Are you saying that when you add a record (using the refbase interface) where the author field does contain german umlauts, they don't get displayed properly? If this doesn't work for you, could you give us some more details (which platform, browser, MySQL/PHP versions, etc).

> Is there already (a very rough) release date? Just something like:
        > in the second half of 2005, in 2006... ;)

Right now, I'm in the final stage of my PhD thesis. This is the reason why there's currently not much progress regarding the refbase development. We hope to get out a release during the next say 1-2 months. If that doesn't work out, then it will have to wait until mid of july 2005.

The latest version in the Sourceforge CVS repository contains a lot of new features and bug fixes - and it should work fairly well. See:

<https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=64647>

The only big thing that was planned for refbase v0.8 and hasn't been completed yet is the language localization. Jochen has done a great job so far (thanks Jochen!), however localization of refbase is quite a task that isn't done in a few days. So I'm thinking of postponing the localization thing for a future version (> v0.8).

Best regards, Matthias

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks