Web of Science Import

adrianbj
2004-06-29
2013-05-28
  • adrianbj

adrianbj - 2004-06-29

Hi Matthias,

Although I think a batch Endnote import filter is the most pressing new feature right now (we have a couple of thousand records in endnote), I just thought I would also mention Web of Science - it seems to be the database of choice at my institution, over CSA for some reason. Anyway, just a suggestion for the future, as I noticed it wasn't in the list in your readme file. Sorry for bugging you yet again.

Thanks again,

Adrian

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Adrian,

unfortunately, our institution/university has no access to ISI Web of Science, so I have no clue how their data format looks like.

It would be helpful if you (or somebody else with access to WoS) could zip some representative records and mail them to me. The example records should cover all sorts of publication types, like journal articles, book chapters, whole books, proceedings, thesis works, etc.

As an alternative, do you know, if Thomson offers a trial account to WoS?

Thanks for your help, Matthias

• Richard Karnesky

Adrian and Matthias,

I BELIEVE that WoS uses the same ISI format that is used in endnote.  Free filters do exist, as do open source converters to, for example, bibtex.

Here is a singele example.  It is a simple teo author journal article, but includes all (optional) fields.   I imagine the the CSA filter could be adapted.  Please note that WoS only contains journal articles.

FN ISI Export Format
      VR 1.0
      PT J
      AU Marquis, EA
         Dunand, DC
      TI Model for creep threshold stress in precipitation-strengthened alloys with coherent particles
      SO SCRIPTA MATERIALIA
      LA English
      DT Article
      DE creep, threshold stress, precipitation strengthening, aluminum alloys, dislocation mobility
      ID AL(SC) ALLOYS; AL3SC
      AB The general climb model for creep threshold stress for dislocations interacting with incoherent particles is modified for the case of coherent precipitates, by taking into account elastic interactions between matrix dislocations and particles due to particle/matrix stiffness and lattice mismatches. The model is in qualitative agreement with experimental data for the Al-Sc system. (C) 2002 Acta Materialia Inc. Published by Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
      C1 Northwestern Univ, Dept Mat Sci & Engn, Evanston, IL 60208 USA.
      RP Dunand, DC, Northwestern Univ, Dept Mat Sci & Engn, MLSB 1123,2225 N Campus Dr, Evanston, IL 60208 USA
      CR ARTZ E, 1982, SCRIPTA METALL, V16, P1285
         ARZT E, 1988, ACTA METALL, V36, P1043
         ASHBY MF, 1971, STRENGTHENING METHOD, P137
         CADEK J, 1998, CREEP METALLIC MAT
         DUNDURS J, 1969, MATH THEORY DISLOCAT, P70
         FROST HJ, 1982, DEFORMATION MECH MAP
         FULLER CB, 1999, SCRIPTA MATER, V40, P691
         HARADA Y, UNPUB
         HYLAND RW, 1991, SCRIPTA METALL MATER, V25, P473
         LAGNEBORG R, 1973, SCRIPTA METALL, V7, P605
         MARQUIS EA, 2001, ACTA MATER, V49, P1909
         MARQUIS EA, IN PRESS ACTA MAT
         MEYERS MA, 1984, MECH METALLURGY PRIN
         MISHRA RS, 1994, PHILOS MAG A, V69, P1097
         NEMBACH E, 1997, PARTICLE STRENGTHENI
         PETERSON NL, 1976, J NUCL MATER, V69, P3
         ROSLER J, 1990, ACTA METALL MATER, V38, P671
      NR 17
      TC 4
      PU PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
      PI OXFORD
      PA THE BOULEVARD, LANGFORD LANE, KIDLINGTON, OXFORD OX5 1GB, ENGLAND
      SN 1359-6462
      J9 SCRIPTA MATER
      JI Scr. Mater.
      PY 2002
      PD OCT 11
      VL 47
      IS 8
      BP 503
      EP 508
      PG 6
      GA 603DD
      UT ISI:000178542800002
      ER

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Rick,

thanks for the info. Could you send me some example records (ten or more) via email, so that white space is preserved.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards, Matthias

• Richard Karnesky

Matthias,

I just sent 10 records as attachments with a long description to info@refbase.net.  Please let me know if anything is unclear.

• adrianbj

adrianbj - 2004-07-07

Thanks very much Rick - sorry for my silence on this - have been away for a few days. Let me know if there is anything else that you need Matthias,

Adrian

• Matthias Steffens

Great, thanks!

This will help me a lot to get started with any WoS import functionality.

Regards, Matthias

• Lacan

Lacan - 2005-11-25

So what's the current status of this??

I'd be very interested in any such ISI WoS script or like that can handle these kind of imports. I don't care if it is an ugly hack as long as it works! Otherwise I might need (and I don't want to) make my own screen scraper for ISI citations.

Please let me know...

-joachim-

• Matthias Steffens

Admittedly, nothing has happend since then. There were many other things that had priority.

However, as outlined before/elsewhere, we consider import from WoS, PubMed (and others) as very important. Speaking of a hack, 'import_csa.php' could be adopted. But ideally, import from WoS/PubMed would be provided via bibutils (isi2xml/med2xml) and a universal MODS XML importer.

M

• Lacan

Lacan - 2005-11-29

So do we have a MODS XML importer?
      In fact I am working on a script to extract XML from CrossRef that needs to get imported to Refbase...

So how does that isi2xml work. What format of easy are we talking about here. You can export easy references in several ways, but I was interested in getting something that uses the information directly from the HTML code for each ISI reference, thus skipping the export step.

Any ideas?

-j-

• Lacan

Lacan - 2005-11-29

Ok, I figured out isi2xml. And I can extract some of the XML items. But how do I get this information into Refbase? I thought that perhaps I could create some kind of POST to link it with the "Add Record" page. (I.e. sending the data directly to that page.) Do you have some kind of template?

Thanks,

-joachim-

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks