Bleeding edge -> text citation

Help
2008-05-06
2013-05-28
  • Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2008-05-06

Hi Matthias,
    I am missing the text citation option for the MS Word integration for logged in users.
    Did I something wrong with the update? Or must I change anything in the options or iniialize files?

Regards Knut

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Knut,

> I am missing the text citation option for the MS Word integration
      > for logged in users.

It is still there, but has been moved to the "Display Options" form that's available in the results header of any citation view.

The results footer now only contains the output format for your citation list (RTF, PDF, LaTeX, etc) [*]. To choose the actual citation style (like "APA", "Chicago", or the "Text Citation" style), click on the "Citations" link that's displayed to the right (above the search results list), then click on "Search & Display Options" to display the results header and select the desired citation style in the "Display Options" form. The chosen citation style should be remembered as long as you stay within your current results list.

Here's an example query from your database that uses the "Text Citation" style in citation view:

http://references.equine-behaviour.de/show.php?title=equine&submit=Cite&citeStyle=Text%20Citation&citeOrder=author

HTH, Matthias

[*] Btw, I note that the 'citeType' dropdown in the results footer of your refbase database contains the entries "Markdown" and "ASCII" twice. You might be able to cure this if you login as admin, click on "edit options" for each user, and deselect all but one citation format (e.g. deselect all but "html"), submit the form, then re-select all the citation formats that you'd like to enable for a particular user, and submit the form again.

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2008-07-01

Sorry about the same question again...
      The link above is not working anymore and I am not able to find the text citation :-(

Maybe its too hot ... or is there any version mismatch?
      I thougt the newest bleeding edge is installed.

Knut

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2008-07-01

show all isn't working also ...

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Knut,

it seems that the 'show.php' script on your server is somehow not available/accessible (or produces some error?). You'll probably want to enable error logging to see what's going on there.

W.r.t. to the non-working sample URL, you could try the same URL with the refbase beta database instead:

http://beta.refbase.net/show.php?title=Baltic&submit=Cite&citeStyle=Text%20Citation&citeOrder=author

This shows you the references displayed as "Text Citation". To choose the "Text Citation" format, click the "Search & Display Options" Link (above the references), and select "Text Citation" from the "Style" dropdown menu in the "Display Options" form, then click the "Show" button.

Does this help?

Best, Matthias

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2008-07-02

How stupid, my focus was on the right side, an did did not find the "Search & Display Options" at the left side

btw. I did an update with FileZilla and the option "overwrite when newer". Seems that this did not work.
      I did a second update with overwrite all and now the show.php is working.

Thank you
      Knut

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Knut,

> How stupid, my focus was on the right side, an did did not find
      > the "Search & Display Options" at the left side

The user is never stupid, it's always the interface design that's stupid. Btw, I'd love to do some usability tests, this would probably help us a lot to improve the interface.

I'd also like to encourage everyone to checkout the refined interface[1] and tell us (in a new forum thread) what things you find confusing or too difficult. We might not be able to fix issues immediately, but we'll definitely consider your feedback when we redo the relevant parts of the interface.

[1]: http://beta.refbase.net/

As an example, I think that the search pages and especially the add/edit mask could be improved quite a bit. It's mostly time available for develepment that prevents me from doing it right away (and that I'd like to get a release out before I start any new big tasks), but it's always good to know what actual users think.

> btw. I did an update with FileZilla and the option "overwrite when
      > newer". Seems that this did not work. I did a second update with
      > overwrite all and now the show.php is working.

Glad to hear that it's now working for you.

Best, Matthias

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2008-07-02

So if I could give you a feedback.
      1. open the Search & Display Options as default (if possible) and switch to close in the options menu
      2. When opened write a hint nearby the arrow f.e [close]

every user will find the menus the first time and maybe could remember when comes back .... I did'nt ;-)

Regards Knut

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks