User names

Help
2008-10-29
2013-05-28
  • Colon Grease

Colon Grease - 2008-10-29

Hello.

Is there a way to remove the requirement that usernames be emails?

Thanks.

• Matthias Steffens

Hi,

> Is there a way to remove the requirement that usernames be emails?

I fear that this is currently not possible, at least not with major changes in much of the core code.

However, if you just don't want to enter real email addresses as user names, you could enter fake email addresses. If, OTOH, you want to integrate the refbase user management with existing user account names (taken from somewhere else) then you'd probably need a mapping step in between.

I'm just wild guessing here. We may be able to provide you with more/better advise if you elaborate on your desired (or required) setup.

Regards, Matthias

• Colon Grease

No, you pretty much got it.

I have user groups that I'd like to use the same account, and it's just a pain to enter an email every time. By having one user, I can predesignate journal articles into groups, so that they can just use the groups without having to set them up. Is it possible to do this for multiple users?

Is there a possibility of auto-logon? I have the thing in a protected domain, so it's one more step for users to log in twice. If auto-login could be set to a user name, I could manually log out after login and log in as admin.

• Matthias Steffens

Hi,

> I have user groups that I'd like to use the same account, and it's
      > just a pain to enter an email every time.

Maybe this isn't an option for your users, but I simply let my browser fill out the login form for me, so I just need to press the "Login" button to login.

Most modern browsers (e.g. Firefox or Safari) offer the user to remember the values of a login form. Wouldn't this ease the situation for your users?

I think its beneficial for the refbase users as well as for the admin if every user has his own account. IMHO, this allows for much better rights and data management.

Are your users supposed to enter records themselves? Or are the user accounts just meant for read access to records entered by the admin or some other process?

If your users wouldn't use any of the user-specific functionality then you could simply let them browse the database as anonymous users (i.e. they wouldn't need to login). Since you're in a protected domain, PDF access could be also enabled for everyone (by setting variable '$fileVisibility' in file 'initialize/ini.inc.php' to "everyone").

> By having one user, I can predesignate journal articles into
      > groups, so that they can just use the groups without having to set
      > them up.

By "groups" I assume you mean the 'user_groups' field that's specific to each refbase user?

W.r.t. the 'user_groups' field, we do plan to open up the refbase group mechanism so that groups can be made public:

http://wiki.refbase.net/index.php/Planned_feature_additions#Public_groups_.28tags.29

But, unfortunately, it may still take some time until this feature gets implemented.

> Is it possible to do this for multiple users?

Maybe you could achieve a similar system with one of the public fields (e.g. the 'area' field)? I mean, you could establish groups of articles by giving them the same keyword in the 'area' field. Then, you could provide links on the main page that link to these article groups. E.g.

show.php?area=economy
      show.php?area=finance

etc.

> Is there a possibility of auto-logon? I have the thing in a
      > protected domain, so it's one more step for users to log in twice.

No, currently, there is no auto-login feature, sorry.

However, other users have modified refbase so that users within a given ID range are authenticated automatically. See e.g. here:

https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1371986&forum_id=218757

Maybe something similar would work for you as well?

Matthias

• Colon Grease

Thanks for your quick and helpful responses.

I don't use browser store password features, but I guess at the moment I can suggest that as an option. I'll definitely make use of the file visibility feature. All will be entering records, but not every time they visit, so they needn't always log in.

IP authentication won't really work, as we're all logging in remotely and our locations are frequently changing.

For groups, I really think public groups are the way to go - considering you're already got the pull-down in the GUI - but I can probably use the area field in the meantime.

• Richard Karnesky

We also plan to "eventually" support HTTP/apache AUTH, which would seem to address your immediate issue (logging in twice).

I do run a patched installation of refbase that allows non-logged-in users to add/modify records.  There is also an image of refbase for MoWeS Portable on Windows that has a default user that is not in the form of an email address.

refbase does assume an email address in many places, so some things might not work correctly.  However, if your willing to put up with some breakage for the sake of convenience, it is fairly straight forward to modify refbase to fit some of your requirements.