some ScienceDirect.com Links are not working

Help
2008-12-18
2013-05-28
  • Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2008-12-18

Hi to all,
    just a short hint:
    some of the Science Direct Links are not working now.
    Maybe it is a Sciencedirect Problem.
    for example have alook at refbase Beta Database Serial755

Most of the links in our Database are not working, but they did before. I seems that it depends on the journal.

Regards Knut

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2008-12-18

Just another hint.
      The link clicking Refbase is not working in Firefox (3.0.4) Opera(9.21) and IE(7.0.5.730.13)
      but the link is working after copying the link and pasting it into the browser with all three browsers.
      so it seems to be a Refbase issue.

Regards Knut

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Knut,

I don't think this is a refbase issue. The Science Direct links which one can copy from the browser's address bar have never worked for me (and from a user perspective, this is a PITA). Or maybe they are session based and expire after some time?

As an alternative, you may want to try the XREF links. And if you have the DOI, this should of course also work.

For Elsevier, the PII link format will also always work:

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0966842X04002562

Unfortunately, Elsevier doesn't make this identifier readily available on their article pages. On the Science Direct article pages, the PII seems to be available only at the bottom of the pages, within the link entitled "Be the first to add this article in 2collab".

However, if you have the DOI for an article, you can get the PII URL by entering the DOI in the lower form of the refbase 'import.php' page. After import, the URL field will contain the PII URL.

That said, I think it's best to link to Elsevier/Science Direct articles via DOI.

Matthias

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2008-12-18

Hi Matthias,
        That's a strange behaviour. If you hit into the URL browser field with the mouse and press return the same link is working.
        But it is not working direct from Refbase.

DOI:
        Yes that's why I found this problem, I was adding the DOIs to this records and was using the direct link to the paper.

Knut

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Knut,

> That's a strange behaviour. If you hit into the URL browser field
      > with the mouse and press return the same link is working. But it is
      > not working direct from Refbase.

I cannot replicate this. Anyways, maybe this is a referrer-related issue at their end?

I tried again with this record:

http://beta.refbase.net/show.php?record=755

which, originally had this link:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TD0-4DXKH9F-2&_user=2387607&_handle=V-WA-A-W-AU-MsSAYVA-UUB-U-AAWWYUWEEA-AAWUBYBDEA-WUVCAVVWB-AU-U&_fmt=summary&_coverDate=03%2F01%2F2005&_rdoc=2&_orig=browse&_srch=%23toc%235184%232005%2399986999

The above link never worked for me, whether clicked from within the refbase interface or if pasted directly.

Using refbase's XREF link (i.e. the CrossRef resolver), I get redirected to:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TD0-4DXKH9F-2&_user=5003027&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000056415&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=5003027&md5=ae1d0c06dfab82ac2397286fd503bc2b

I pasted this link into the record's URL field, and ATM it seems to work when clicked from within the refbase interface or if pasted directly.

ATM, I have no better advice than simply ignoring the www links for Elsevier/Science Direct articles and to use the DOI or XREF links instead.

Matthias

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2008-12-18

Hi Matthias,
        it seems that there is a problem when switching to the second page and (at least) with sciencedirect links.
        I can reproduce:
        search in your beta Database for URL contains sciencedirect 11 records

choose two on first page
        switch to second page
        click the only one - (empty page)
        go back to first page
        click on the same as befor (empty page)
        search again search for URL contains sciencedirect 11 records
        it works again.

The same in my database but I have more from science direct
        The problem is reproducible after switching to the second page

Maybe I am wrong ....

Knut

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Knut,

> it seems that there is a problem when switching to the second page
      > and (at least) with sciencedirect links.
      > I can reproduce:
      > search in your beta Database for URL contains sciencedirect 11 records

I fear I did not really understand what you were doing.

> choose two on first page

what do you mean by "choose"? selecting the checkboxes of two records? or clicking the "show details" link for two of the records? if the latter, are you opening them in a new tab?

> switch to second page
      > click the only one - (empty page)

I don't understand what you mean by "click the only one", you mean displaying the record in details view?

And by "empty page" you mean you're getting a blank page? when exactly does this happen?

> go back to first page
      > click on the same as befor (empty page)

Same as before, i.e. I'm not sure what you mean by "click on the same as before".

> search again search for URL contains sciencedirect 11 records
      > it works again.

what exactly works again?

I just tried to search beta.refbase.net for records where the 'url' field contains "sciencedirect". I also get 11 records, and I can browse the two results pages successfully, and view records in detail etc.

Ah, wait, you're clicking on the WWW links to ScienceDirect and these don't work when clicked from the refbase interface? I guess this is what you're talking about?

I have no clue why this happens. The only thing that comes to mind is a referrer-related issue at their end.

I don't think that I can do something about it -- at least, I wouldn't know how.

Matthias

• Knut Krüger

Knut Krüger - 2008-12-19

Hi Matthias,

sorry for the incomplete description - I wrote much more the first time but closed the page without saving ...

>what do you mean by "choose"? selecting the checkboxes of two records? or clicking the "show details" link for two of the >records? if the latter, are you opening them in a new tab?

Opening the direct link (black arrow) in a new tab

>I don't understand what you mean by "click the only one", you mean displaying the record in details view?
        also opening the direct link (black arrow) in a new tab

>Same as before, i.e. I'm not sure what you mean by "click on the same as before".
        Opening the same pages with the direct link (black arrow) in a new tab

>> search again search for URL contains sciencedirect 11 records
        >> it works again.

>what exactly works again?
        Opening the direct link (black arrow) in a new tab

>Ah, wait, you're clicking on the WWW links to ScienceDirect and these don't work when clicked from the refbase interface? >I guess this is what you're talking about?
        exactly

>I have no clue why this happens. The only thing that comes to mind is a referrer-related issue at their end.

but the strange thing is that the links are working after searching but not after switching the page, and they are working when you try to open the link again by clicking with the mouse in the url field of the browser and press return after.
        The same link (whis is not working when you must switch the page -Nr. 11 on Page 2) is working when you are searching for url "sciencedirect"  and publication "Trends in Microbiology" (then you get this one only)

>I don't think that I can do something about it -- at least, I wouldn't know how.

You do not think that this is a refbase problem?

btw. the same occours in refbase Demo Database on all links on page 2

Regards Knut

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Knut,

> >I have no clue why this happens. The only thing that comes to mind
      > >is a referrer-related issue at their end.
      >
      > but the strange thing is that the links are working after searching
      > but not after switching the page,

This would corroborate my guess that it's a referrer-related issue.

When you're using http://beta.refbase.net/advanced_search.php to search for records where the 'url' field contains "sciencedirect", the first results page is returned via a POST request, i.e. the referrer URL is short (http://beta.refbase.net/search.php).

However, any subsequent results pages are displayed via a GET request which means a longish refbase URL is transferred as the referrer when a user clicks on an outgoing link.

Somehow, the Elsevier/ScienceDirect URL resolver doesn't like these long referrer URLs. Or maybe it blocks them because they contain a raw SQL statement? I dunno.

> and they are working when you try to open the link again by clicking
      > with the mouse in the url field of the browser and press return
      > after.

This makes sense since in that case the referrer URL is empty.

> The same link (whis is not working when you must switch the page
      > -Nr. 11 on Page 2) is working when you are searching for url
      > "sciencedirect"  and publication "Trends in Microbiology" (then you
      > get this one only)

Yes, since it's now on results page 1 which (when coming from 'advanced_search.php') stems from a POST request which in turn results in a short referrer URL. So, it's the same as above.

> You do not think that this is a refbase problem?

refbase outputs valid HTML and, in all of your cases, the links in question are identical and resolve to an existing page at Elsevier.

Sure, the refbase URL scheme could be improved (and this is planned), but other than that, I don't see what refbase could be doing wrong here.

As stated above, I think it's either the longish URLs in the referrer or the fact that SQL statements are included in the referrer URL. It might be worth contacting the Elsevier help desk about it.

You can clearly see that its a referrer-related issue by opening Firefox at "about:config" and setting the 'network.http.sendRefererHeader' variable to "0" (it is set to "2" by default). Now click a ScienceDirect link (that didn't work previously) and you'll see that it works now. Set variable 'network.http.sendRefererHeader' back to "2" and the links on the second results page won't work again.

> btw. the same occours in refbase Demo Database on all links on page 2

I cannot replicate this, maybe I'm again misunderstanding you? When I goto:

http://demo.refbase.net/show.php?records=all

and click on the ">>" link to display the second results page, I do only get XREF links to the Crossref resolver and they all seem to work.

If this is not what you meant please elaborate.

Matthias

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks