PMID Import - SVN - IE 7

Help
Medblue
2008-07-19
2013-05-28
  • Medblue

Medblue - 2008-07-19

On our Refbase SVN installation, we get an error when trying to import a PMID in Internet Explorer 7 (IE has latest updates installed). It's a general error message stating "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". The PMID is not imported at all. We do not experience this issue through FireFox. Unfortunately, the users of the database will have IE 7.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks

CG

• Matthias Steffens

Hi CG,

> On our Refbase SVN installation

Are you using the SVN "trunk" version, or the one from the "bleeding-edge" directory?

Also, are you using refbase in conjunction with a UTF-8 based database?

> we get an error when trying to import a PMID in Internet Explorer 7

That's strange. So it's working in Firefox but not in IE7?

I must admit that I have no clue what could cause your problem. Data are POSTed to the processing script ('import_modify.php') so the length of the GET query shouldn't be an issue here. Could this be related to the PubMed server response time? Is this handled differently by Firefox and IE7? And have you tried this on another machine?

Do your server's error logs (like Apache's 'error_log' file) say anything?

Thanks, Matthias

• Richard Karnesky

I can confirm for IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254 on Win XP for refbase 0.9.0 through the bleeding-edge branch, regardless of the character set of the dabase.  No warnings or errors in apache's error log.  I need to look at this more closely.

--Rick

• Richard Karnesky

Pretty consistently, I can only fread 1733 bytes of data without IE breaking (and 1733 is hardly enough for the PubMed info for many references).

• Richard Karnesky

I believe that IE does not like the length of the location header that we pass it.

A work-around would be to behave as if you were always using multiple PMIDs (and import records directly, rather than allowing the user to modify them when only one record is added).

In uploading multiple

18616465IE does not like the length of the

• Richard Karnesky

Sorry for the partial post with jumbled footer, above (posting from IE :-().

In import_modify.php,  you can modify this section:

// RELOCATE TO IMPORT PAGE:
            // call 'record.php' and load the form fields with the data of the current record
            header("Location: record.php?recordAction=add&mode=import&importSource=generic&" . $fieldParameters);
            exit; // >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

to make it work.

--Rick

• Richard Karnesky

Indeed, URLs in IE are limited to merely 2,048 characters in the path portion & other browsers have a much higher limit.

--Rick

• Matthias Steffens

Hi,

>> we get an error when trying to import a PMID in Internet Explorer 7

> URLs in IE are limited to merely 2,048 characters in the path portion

I've just committed a fix for this problem to the SVN bleeding-edge directory:

http://refbase.svn.sourceforge.net/refbase/?rev=1186&view=rev

Import of single records via the web interface should now also work correctly with Internet Explorer.

Thanks to CG & Rick for the report and for investigating the problem.

Matthias