I am looking for an open reference manager and RefBase seems to be really the best software I need.
I have installed RefBase 0.9.0 on my local web server (EasyPHP1-8, Apache/1.3.33 (Win32) PHP/4.3.10, MySQL 4.1.9) with install.php to make more tests before to install it on my institutional server.
Import works well but Export doesn't and I receive a return message :
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: iconv() in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\refbase\includes\include.inc.php on line 3838
I have tried the code given in the documentation Installation -Troubleshooting for Undefined iconv() but it doesn't work.
Thank you for your help !
PS : I am librarian and have only a few notions on php/mySQL, using PHPMyAdmin 2.6.1 to manage database.
did you saw this topic at the wiki:
It could be, that iconv is simply disabled in php.ini
Please check this
PHP must be installed with iconv support for refbase to work properly.
You could use the XAMPP package to test refbase locally:
refbase uses iconv in various cases, e.g. when outputting citations to RTF or when renaming uploaded files. It is also used when generating cite keys upon export or when exporting data as UTF8 from a latin1-based database, which may be the problem that you're experiencing.
Are you using refbase together with a latin1- or UTF8-based MySQL database?
If you cannot enable/install iconv on your local system (and can't switch to XAMPP for testing), AND if you're using a latin1-based MySQL database for refbase, then you could try to set variable '$convertExportDataToUTF8' in file 'initialize/ini.inc.php' to "no". This will prevent iconv conversion of exported data to UTF-8. In addition, you could set variables '$handleNonASCIIChars' and '$handleNonASCIICharsInCiteKeysDefault' in 'ini.inc.php' to "keep" which will prevent iconv conversion of non-ASCII characters. However, generally this is not recommended since it may cause other problems.
If you can make sure that your institutional server has support for iconv, then you could probably ignore your local iconv problems since it will work on the deployment server.
Thank you very much for your replies,
- iconv is now enable but I have always the same error message
- I use refbase (latin1) with a UTF8-unicode MySQL database.
So, I'll test with XAMPP package this week end and tell you how it works.
Thanks for help !
> iconv is now enable but I have always the same error message
Just to make sure I understand you correctly: You did set the three variables in 'ini.inc.php' as outlined in my previous mail and you're still getting the same error message upon export?
I assume that you have successfully installed Bibutils, otherwise you wouldn't be able to import records. Is this correct? What type of format(s) have you tried to import? RIS, Endnote or BibTeX?
> - I use refbase (latin1) with a UTF8-unicode MySQL database.
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Did you specify "latin1" or "utf8" as default character set in the refbase 'install.php' form?
Note that if you've tried to install refbase multiple times using the same MySQL database name (in 'db.inc.php') but with different settings as default character set, then please make sure that you've dropped (i.e. deleted) the database before installing it again with a different character encoding.
Also, if you choose "utf8" in 'install.php', then make sure that iconv is *really* enabled and that variable '$contentTypeCharset' in 'ini.inc.php' is set to "UTF-8". And if you're using higher ASCII chars in any variable values in file 'ini.inc.php', you should also re-save that file with encoding "Unicode (UTF-8, no BOM)".
If iconv isn't actually running on your system, it would be better to try refbase with a "latin1" based MySQL database. In any case, the setting of the variable '$contentTypeCharset' in 'ini.inc.php' *must* match the encoding that you've chosen upon installation.
Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.
Thank you very much for your detailed message which helps me a lot.
> Just to make sure I understand you correctly: You did set the three variables in 'ini.inc.php' as outlined in my previous mail and you're still getting the same error message upon export?
> I assume that you have successfully installed Bibutils
Yes, I import EndNote and BibTex formats.
(The path for bibutils was automatically generated in the install.php)
> if you've tried to install refbase multiple times using the same MySQL database name (in 'db.inc.php') but with different settings as default character set, then please make sure that you've dropped (i.e. deleted) the database before installing it again with a different character encoding
You are right, I haven't dropped the database when I tested different character encoding. So I perform a new install after having all deleted, refbase and MySQL database, and choose "latin1" in install.php. Tables of the database are created in "latin1_swedish_ci", iconv is enabled.
I am not able to explain exactly what is different, but this time export works and I can continue to test refbase.
Still thank you for the reactivity of the forum and your great availability.
> I am not able to explain exactly what is different, but this time export works and I can continue to test refbase.
I'm glad to hear that refbase export is working for you now. Let us know if you encounter further problems or if you've got further questions.
Log in to post a comment.