Hard Disk Installation

2011-06-10
2012-09-06
  • zero-computer-knowledge

Hi,

Would it be possible to install Redo Backup onto a hard drive?

I have an old laptop who's cd drive is broken, the USB port is only version 1
    so it runs really slow. Having it on the HDD would allow backups to take place
    much quicker and the images can be copied to an external drive later. In the
    event of things going really bad and I had to start over an image could them
    be retrieved and installed from USB. The big time saver though is in carrying
    out backups and rolling back to previous images stored locally, this would
    greatly improve the entire operation.

Many thanks,

Mark

• M8R-g6osyj

M8R-g6osyj - 2011-10-25

Wouldn't mind seeing this sort of thing too :)

FWIW, the following sorts of steps worked here via grub4dos 0.4.4 and redo
    1.0.1 (assuming here an already installed Windows XP set up):

1. Install grub4dos with the first method described here and create an appropriate menu.lst file in the same directory as the newly installed grldr.

2. Create a partition for redo. I made a 512 MB logical partition with a fat32 filesystem.

3. Copy the files from the redo .iso to the logical partition in step 2. I ended up with the directories casper, isolinux, and install and files autorun.exe, autorun.inf, and md5sum.txt in the root of the destination partition.

4. Create a file named redobackup.txt at the root of the partition from step 2. This file gets used by grub4dos via the configuration specified in the next step.

5. Create an entry in the menu.lst file from step 1 with something like:

title Redo

find --set-root /redobackup.txt

kernel /casper/vmlinuz cdrom-detect/try-usb=true noprompt
    floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper live-media-path=/casper/
    vga=791 quiet splash

initrd /casper/initrd.gz

savedefault --wait=2

(Note that that's 5 lines. For reference, the kernel and initrd lines were put
    together based on examination of the /isolinux/isolinux.cfg file on the redo
    .iso.)

• Randy

Randy - 2011-10-25

Sorry, I am new to this forum and can't for the life of me figure out how to
    create a new topic. I am having problems using Redo Backup on my laptop. I
    can't see the next button to click it after selecting the backup icon.

• M8R-g6osyj

M8R-g6osyj - 2011-10-28

I experienced this difficulty as well. Today I came across the following work-
    around:

http://redobackup.org/bugs/viewissue.php?issue_no=112

FWIW, adding a new topic appears doable via a button at the bottom of one of
    the pages listing topics:

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks