Menu

ignoring lines in csv files

Anonymous
2019-02-28
2019-03-04
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2019-02-28

Hi and thank you for providing this application,

when handeling automaticly generated CSV files, those files will often have some sort of header, that may also contain the delimiter, but not belong to the data.

I just want to ignore those lines. Either by ignoring a fixed number of lines or by ignoring a specific pattern. Is this possible?

On a sidenote: Is there a documentation on the attribute options in an XML Schema? For me, it would be way easier to edit the XML directly than to use a GUI

greetings,
    Simon

• Bruce Martin

Bruce Martin - 2019-02-28

I just want to ignore those lines. Either by ignoring a fixed number of lines or by ignoring a specific pattern. Is this possible?`
    Depends

• If there are blank lines before the Column header lines you can use Column names line number field See attached picture
    • If there is no Column names it might be possible via a schema (need to check).

• Can you provide sample files

Xml Documentation not yet, I will try and write some.
    What sort of riles do you want to want to write schemas for ??? can you provide samples

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2019-02-28

the Column names line number field works in some cases, but i'd prefer to not show the text above the name line at all.

See the attached file. Something in the "header" makes it unreadable. From line 25 onwards it will be a valid CSV

• Bruce Martin

Bruce Martin - 2019-03-01

In https://sourceforge.net/projects/recsveditor/files/reCsvEditor/Version_0.99.0_Trial_4/

I have uploaded updated ReCsveditor with 2 fixs for the example file

• reCsvEditor_099_Trial4a_Upgrade.zip - Holds upgrade jars, copy over existing ReCsvEditor instalation
    • ReCsvEditor_USB_0.99_Trial4a.zip - latest USB version

Suggest trying the USB version - unzip it in a normal directory.

You should be able to Right click >>> set as Field name row on the line with the column names

SelectColNames

It will display all lines; but ypu can create a view by

• Selecting the data lines
    • Selecing View >>> Table View (Selected Records) - I will look at automating this

CreateView

I will look at

• Automatically creating a view with the data lines
    • Look at better file attribute detection for files like this. If you can provide other examples it would be usefull for testing

Last edit: Bruce Martin 2019-03-01
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2019-03-01

thank you very much for the outstanding support

I can provide more files, one where I discovered a bug, but it would be nice if I could do this via mail and not uploading it for the world. Sadly, I will not be availible on the weekend

have a nice friday
    Simon

• Bruce Martin

Bruce Martin - 2019-03-01

Simon, create a Sourceforge account and specify your e-mail (probably have to these days). I can then use your sourceforge account to send you my e-mail addrress.

It also means I do not need to moderate your posts

• Simon Dorr

Simon Dorr - 2019-03-04

am now registered. You should be able to send me an email

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel