Trailing separator character?

Help
Torsten
2013-01-07
2013-01-11
  • Torsten

Torsten - 2013-01-07

Hi!
    I'm working with CSV files which must have a separator character as last character in the line. I'm using ';' as separator, so a line looks like this:
    Test;A entry;Some Text;The End;

This line has 4 entries. If the last ';' is omitted the (very old) import code ignores the last entry.

Now when I edit this line in RecordEdit and save the file sometimes the last character is deleted - I think this is the case if the last entry is empty, but even in this case the trailing ';' is important! Is there a way to ensure that trailing separator characters are always written to the file, particularly if the character existed before saving?

Greetings,
    Torsten

• Bruce Martin

Bruce Martin - 2013-01-08

At the moment there in no way ensure each line ends with a seperator.
    I will look at making the changes to the RecordEditor to allow
    for this requirement.

One option would be to write a macro to ensure each line ends with a seperator

Can you provide some more details on:

1) Which Record-Layout (Generic Csv, Comma delimited, Specific Layout etc)
    you use to edit the file
    2) An example file

• Torsten

Torsten - 2013-01-08

Thank you for the quick reply and you effort! However I doubt that I can use this approach. I intended to use RecordEdit as a "simple" CSV editor for unexperienced users. The advantage is that I can define the CSV file layout like name the columns. The users only needs to run a batch file, edit the CSV file and click Save. I doubt that they can run a custom script before saving, let alone they won't forget it once or twice. So a change in RecordEdit is the only option that would help me.

By the way: I don't (not only) need RecordEdit to append the trailing separator, but (also) keep existing ones. A line in my files ends e.g. with "350;350;". Now I change those two values to 370, the new line ends now with "370;370". So RecordEdit removes the trailing separator.

The record layout is a custom CSV layout, but a very simple one. I'll attach the exported copybook and a part of the real data file.

• Bruce Martin

Bruce Martin - 2013-01-08

Ok I will make the changes

• Bruce Martin

Bruce Martin - 2013-01-11

I have released a new version (Upgrade jars / no installers)
    that contains some extra "Csv line parsers".

I am not sure if you have noticed, on the extra screen there
    is a Parser field. This Parser controls which parser is used to break
    a CSV line into its fields (and update CSV lines).

The new parser for you is

• Basic - Delimiter all fields + 1
      • This parser will ensure there is a delimiter for every defined field
        (even when the field is not present) + an extra endo of line parser.
        If the user inserts a line, it will end up with the correct number of
        Delimiters.

Alternatively there is:
    * Parser - Matching Quotes
    - This parser will leave all Delimiters in place, even when the last field / fields
    are deleted
    - One issue, if the user adds a line, it will not have the correct number of
    Delimiters.

One other issue, In the editor, if you change the Layout to Full Line; you can change
    the raw text (and add / remove fields & delimiters).

I will add a an option to disable access to the raw Text to close this loop hole

Upgrade:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/record-editor/files/Current_Test_Version/Version_0.92.1/

Finally I have created 2 new Layout Definitions xml Exports using the Basic - Delimiter all fields + 1 and Parser - Matching Quotes. You can import them
    back into your system using Record Layouts >>> Load Copybooks

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks