Record Editor is an great software for people working with structured data
(Flat files& XML too) and from your prompt responses it seems you are
supporting the project in excellent way with prompt and knowledgeable answers.
I really appreciate your work.
Now for the query - I am exploring use of RecordEditor for retrieval/search of
data from large files (CSV as well as COBOL) stored on a network server.
When one invokes RecordEditor interface and chooses browse option - the file
is read from start till end and then presented to user for
Are any of the following things possible in current code base ?
1. Read the file in read-only mode (Browse & search only- no editing
2. Not read full file by default (or only read first few lines & show sample
3. Present search screen before running full file read - with options of
searching by field and return after "n" matches..etc
4. Perform file read and search with a key/string - Return first "n"
configurable rows from the file
5. Has any attempt been made to run/re-use RecordEditor in a browser or web
based application ?
1) No attempt has been made to produce a Web version of the Editor, I do not
need it and there has not been interest in the project to put the work in.
2) Currently the production version of the RecordEditor will always read the
whole file. The test version has some optermisation wich should help with
Cobol Files. In particular for large fixed width files it will read the file
in as needed; this may work for you.
3) Currently there is no way to only read part of the file. But if you are
know java, it should be possible to write a front end to read the data
required, then call the recordeditor
Thanks for your responses. I will try the test version for reading partial
file or till a search critieria of file is met.
Log in to post a comment.