Menu

Two or More Phones with the Same Extension Number

John Lind
2018-01-25
2018-04-28
  • John Lind

John Lind - 2018-01-25

Found the question about how to assign two phones to the same extension number raised in various forums. Just did this with two Grandstream phones in my system and it was easy.

1. Edit the "Max Contacts" under the Advanced Tab for the Extension Number. It's about halfway down the "Edit Extension" section. The default value is "1". Change it to the number of phones you want to put onto this Extension number. In my case I put line #1 on two phones onto the same extension number, and changed this to a "2". Submit and save.
    2. Use the same extension number and secret for that Extension in each phone's configuration for the lines you want to assign to that extension number.

Test the setup by calling it. All phones set up for that extension should ring, and if any are answered, they should all stop ringing. Likewise, the same user's voice mail can be accessed from any of the phones with star-97 and the voice mail message waiting indicator (if the phone has one) will illuminate on all the phones. It will clear on all the phones when all the new voicemails are heard on any of the phones. This is the same as having two POTS PSTN phones wired with the same wire pair.

I have two Grandstream 2-line phones now with line 1 assigned to Extension 101 on one DID in one area code and line 2 assigned to Extension 102 on another DID with a different area code. Enables being able to answer the phone now in two completely different locations, or to make a call or listen to voice mail from either one.

As an aside:
    One phenomenon drove me nuts for the better part of a day trying to set this up. I was configuring the phones with the RasPBX "host name" instead of its fixed IP address for the SIP Server. The second phone on the same LAN at the other end of a meshed WiFi system (providing a high speed backbone on 5GHz) would not reliably ring, even if the IP address was set up as primary SIP Server and the RasPBX host name was set up as secondary SIP Server. It would only register using the IP address. Deleted the use of the host name in the phone configuration using only the RasPBX fixed IP address and it suddenly worked perfectly. Lesson here is assigning the PBX a fixed IP address (obviously outside the range of dynamic IPs the LAN's DHCP uses) and not trying to use a "host name" for the RasPBX SIP Server. I do the same with the phones as well. Also turned off the SIP Tracking/NAT Helper in the WiFi routers (YMMV with turning that off).

John

• Andy Woolford

Andy Woolford - 2018-04-28

IMHO the "simple" way to do this is via "Ring Groups". Give all the phones unique extension numbers and place both extensions into a Ring Group and set the ring strategy to Ringall.

This gives the same behaviour and far greater flexibility depending on the exact application.

Last edit: Andy Woolford 2018-04-28