Menu

How reliable is your PBX?

bazza14
2017-03-07
2018-01-23
  • bazza14

bazza14 - 2017-03-07

Hi. I'm just after feedback from you guys regarding SD card life. I've been using Raspbx for about 9 months now and have just had my second SD card failure. Wondering about the quality of the SD cards. I would be interested to know how long your PBX typically runs for before you have failures. thanks in advance for your replies.

• zeler christian

zeler christian - 2017-03-08

Hi,
    In my first experience with first PI generation some years ago first sd card was killed in 1 week
    Same experience now with the last PI generation same thing with my first sd card
    you have two solutions
    Trying an expensive quality SLC industrial SD card about mini $100 for 4Gb
    Mooving to an USB SLC key $100 for 16 Gb
    Moovind to a quality SSD MLC $100 for 64/128 Gb

I'm in test since two monthes using an SSD plugged/unpugged, working with worst ( POE extractor) and good power supply and the baby seems like it working fine :-)
    Raspy is mounted in 19 Inches enclosure with 2 NIC cards USB SSD and USB lcd displaying IP and memory informations.

• Jon Eskdale

Jon Eskdale - 2017-03-08

My PI - First generation (Pi 1) has been running on the original SD card
      since I initially installed it without any issue That is 3-4 years.. But
      it is running the earlier version of RASPBX, from this forum it appears
      that it is the newer version of the software that has been killing the
      cards although I believe there have recently been some improvements made to
      put less wear on the cards. Jon

Jon Eskdale
      07530 112233
      Skype "eskdale"

On 8 March 2017 at 00:38, zeler christian comdif@users.sf.net wrote:

Hi,
      In my first experience with first PI generation some years ago first sd
      card was killed in 1 week
      Same experience now with the last PI generation same thing with my first
      sd card
      you have two solutions
      Trying an expensive quality SLC industrial SD card about mini $100 for 4Gb
      Mooving to an USB SLC key $100 for 16 Gb
      Moovind to a quality SSD MLC $100 for 64/128 Gb

I'm in test since two monthes using an SSD plugged/unpugged, working with
      worst ( POE extractor) and good power supply and the baby seems like it
      working fine :-)
      Raspy is mounted in 19 Inches enclosure with 2 NIC cards USB SSD and USB
      lcd displaying IP and memory informations.

How reliable is your PBX?
      https://sourceforge.net/p/raspbx/discussion/general/thread/34483a28/?limit=25#6b30

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/raspbx/discussion/general/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Gernot

Gernot - 2017-03-08

Since FreePBX 12 mysql database usage has increased unfortunately. Could you install the sysstat package

apt-get install sysstat

And then call iostat and read the value kB_wrtn. Divide this to the number of uptime days of your Pi (run uptime).
    It would be interesting to know how much data is written to people's SD cards in different setups.

• bazza14

bazza14 - 2017-03-09

Thats an interesting suggestion. I will implement it. Thanks.

• Tomas D

Tomas D - 2017-03-09

1 day ago, I posted a question that is related to this (i think).

as I expirincing problems with stability. (20-30 minutes working fine) after that a crash occures, due to Power problems with USB/Dongle/RaspberyPI or when using USH HUB, problems with USB compatibilty.

My post:
    Can SIM/Operator affect USB dongle power comsumtion
    https://sourceforge.net/p/raspbx/discussion/general/thread/a013c441/

• bazza14

bazza14 - 2017-03-09

Thanks for the responses. I think the problem is the SD cards. There seems to be a fair amouint of confusion about a whether or not cards implement any sort of wear leveling technology and of course there is issue of substandard and fake cards. My research took me here http://www.mouser.co.uk/Embedded-Solutions/Memory-Cards//N-d0rp7?P=1yxxwsyZ1z0w1t4 where I found data sheets for cards by Panasonic, Swissbit and Smart Modular Tech that explicitly state that they feature static and/or dynamic wear levelling plus error dectection and correction, a bit more expensive than some but what price reliability.

• zeler christian

zeler christian - 2017-03-09

@bazza14 this is exactly my conclusion plug a $100 mem card on a $30 device solve the problem :-)

• bazza14

bazza14 - 2017-03-10

Not quite. The cards I am looking at are £15 and £22 these are MLC cards with SLC industrial card features. Putting a £98 card in is not really a vibale option. You can see the specs here https://www.swissbit.com/data/view.php?q=S-45u/S-45u_fact_sheet.pdf and http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/723/microSD_overview-1082214.pdf
        Hope fully these will solve the problem but it will be many months before I have that data. Thanks again to everyone for their input.

• dadenson

dadenson - 2017-06-01

There is a middle option here in a PCEngines sd4b, which is a pSLC card running MLC NAND flash in SLC mode which extends durability a lot. These are pretty cheap.

I'm curious if it's mysql use or if it's logging. And what would be writing to mysql so much?

• Gernot

Gernot - 2017-06-05

To answer your question: FreePBX introduced the dashboard scheduler with version 12, and this wrote lots of data to the Mysql database every minute. A patch was delivered to RasPBX users in autumn 2016 to run the scheduler only once every hour. Since then writes decreased considerably.
    I did some research on this topic over many months. I have an old Pi1 still running an older image. This unit runs on the same 4GB standard SD card for over 4 years now without problems. I've checked the numbers shown by iostat, it writes around 250MB to the card every day, on average. If wear levelling is done correctly on this card, and I assume so, the free space has been overwritten around 250 times in these 4 years, according to my calculations. One can find many articles on the net stating that even cheap cards support at least 1000 writes. So according to these numbers, the card should in theory last for 16 years in total.
    In early 2016 I flashed the image from January 2016 to a cheap, 4GB, 4 Euros SD card, again nothing special (I think it is a Transcend), and it is also still running for over a year 24/7. It even survived the active dashboard scheduler, until the patch came in autumn 2016. I'm continuously monitoring this Pi, it currently writes around 388 MB of data each day. I've already tried to move the logs to a tmpfs but the difference was only very little. The free space on this card is written around 110 times per year, so it should still last around 10 years in theory.
    I also had another cheap 8GB card running on a Pi3 for about half a year without problems. If people use 8GB cards and do not expand the root partition, there should always be enough free space for wear levelling, so the card should last a long time even if write numbers are much higher than in my case.

So far my own observations and theoretical lifetime calculations. But as people still report issues with broken cards sometimes, I cannot say there are no problems at all. It would be good to have some numbers of amount of data written to people's cards for comparison. Therefore I ask those who have their Pi running for a while to post their numbers here. Maybe we can get some insight why people still run into problems.

• zeler christian

zeler christian - 2017-06-14

Hi all,
    I'm surely crazy but yesterday I have setting up in a customer Hotel a raspy based system
    70 phones
    4 SIP trunks
    asterisk 11.21.0 including mysql realtime features with lighttpd
    Also including:
    dual NIC, dhcp server, Squid, captive portal this does mean 70 customers using eth1 to connect internet accross iptables and the squid proxy.
    Hardware is Raspi3 booting on ssd with USB NIC eth1 with 2A power supply.

After 24 H system seem to work very fine with very good voice quality