Menu

New Chrome (ver 100) - Hotspot not responding

Help
2022-04-19
2022-10-13
  • Armin Dzubur

Armin Dzubur - 2022-04-19

Is it possible and how to solve the problem: Hotspot is not responding.
    This problem occurred with the new version (100th) of the Chrome browser. The same problem occurs on both mobile and desktop versions where Chrome is the default browser (ver 100.)

• Dirk van der Walt

The problems is with the strict cross site ajax calls.
    I take it you are serving the login pages from a public server over http

There is the option to move to HTTPS and enable HTTPS on the JSON interface. (That is what we currently do with the MESHdesk / APdesk firmware and it works fine)

For that you'll need to configure Coova with a cert and key though which is signed by a CA that the browser accepts.

I'm also now looking at an option NOT to use the JSON interface which is another way to address the problem.

Will keep you posted on the progress (It will be in the new Bootstrap5 login pages)

• Armin Dzubur

Armin Dzubur - 2022-04-29

Thank you for your reply. In the meantime, we tested:
    I would like to add a note that when the RADIUSdesk is in the local network we do not have a problem with the connection.
    However, our RADIUSdesk is located on a public ip address on the Internet. The wireless AP is in my local network and then the problem "Hotspot not responding" appears (I tested with Teltonika RUT955- official firmware and Xiaomi 4c with MESHSdesk firmware). Unfortunately, we cannot use your MESHhdesk firmware because we use Teltonika RUT955 devices based on OpenWrt, which are not supported (mobile router with GPS in buses). The problem also appeared with the Opera mobile version of the browser. Firefox still works, but users on mobile devices use mostly Chrome. There will probably be a problem with the Firefox browser soon when it is upgraded to a new version. I hope that you will find a solution and that your RADIUSdesk (really impressive software) will live a long and successful life.

• Dirk van der Walt

Hello Armin,

I'm working on a solution that will not use JSON (looking at the old way Chillispot used to logon users)

Unfortunately I'm limited in terms of available time and fit the work on this alternative in-between my paid for work.

My aim is to have this in place and working before month end.

Talking of the Teltonika's I actually tried to get the MESHdesk firmware incorporated onto it around two years ago.

This would allow you to expand its Wi-Fi coverage by using cheap off the shelve hardware all while managing the whole lot centrally, again lack of funding resulted in another abandoned side project but it definitely seemed doable at that time since they use the ath10k drivers and a modified version of OpenWrt and even had a SDK available.

Will keep you posted on the login page progress.

• Armin Dzubur

Armin Dzubur - 2022-05-02

The only word that can express all our wishes and your commitment to this project is: Thank you

• Dirk van der Walt

Hello Armin,

Actually moved this item up the priority list.

Question on the RUT955, more out of interest...

Does it allow you to NOT specify a uamsecret e.g. leave it blank.
    (Not RADIUS secret)

One of my clients require that their login pages be served from a web server that can only serve HTML pages.
    So I'm had to remove the UAM service (Which can be done if you remove the uamsecret from the config)

• Armin Dzubur

Armin Dzubur - 2022-05-09

I just successfully tested Teltonika RUT955, with a provider that does not use "UAM secret" or the field is empty. (provider is starthotspot.com).

• Dirk van der Walt

Great, thanks for the feedback.
    I also updated the MESHdesk and APdesk GUI not to enforce it and then on the OpenWrt Lua library side to leave it out if it is not included in the config settings from the server.

• Armin Dzubur

Armin Dzubur - 2022-05-10

Sorry for the last post. My mistake. I did not update the database.

• Dirk van der Walt

Hello Armin,

The latest check-in on Github now include support for Non-JSON on the Login pages.

Make sure you run all there SQL patches
    https://github.com/RADIUSdesk/rdcore/tree/main/cake3/rd_cake/setup/db

Then under the Settings of the Login Page on the last section there is two items you can set to enforce the Login Page to use the old style login

The UAM URL you specify in the Coova Config still stays the same e.g. for my demo server it is
    http://cloud.radiusdesk.com/cake3/rd_cake/dynamic-details/chilli-browser-detect/
    (I deliberately tested with HTTP to confirm it works fine but HTTPS should also work just the same)

The JavaScript in the Bootstrap login page will determine which module to use to log the user in based on the settings of the login page.

Last edit: Dirk van der Walt 2022-05-14
    • Stanley Thomas

Stanley Thomas - 2022-10-10

Hi Dirk,

I am trying with the latest code. I think I'm getting the missing controller error due to these 2 options not checked. But if these options are checked and saved, they do not show checked when you reopen the same settings page.

Please, can you tell me any other way to enable these options.

• Dirk van der Walt

Hi Stanley,

https://github.com/RADIUSdesk/rdcore/commit/ec3c81fab45098a679750916cf2247c70640d076

Somehow those patches did not made it to the sample rd.sql

You can either use the latest rd.sql which should have it in already or just run them against your DB from the latest code (before that commit).

Let me know if that does the trick :-)

• Stanley Thomas

Stanley Thomas - 2022-10-11

Hi Dirk,

I tried the patches, yes the checkboxes work. Unfortunately, the "Missing Controller" error still persists. I do not know if there is anything in the config that's causing it. I have attached it along with the error. Please, could you take a look.

Many thanks for your quick reply.

• Dirk van der Walt

Try and update the url to dynamic-details (not underscore but minus) The new CakePHP versions does not like the undersore in the controller name and insists on the minus

• Stanley Thomas

Stanley Thomas - 2022-10-11

Yes, I now notice the documentation also has "dynamic-details/chilli-browser-detect/" clearly mentioned. Let me try this and get back to you.

Thanks, Dirk.

• Stanley Thomas

Stanley Thomas - 2022-10-13

Hi Dirk,

Thanks a lot. I missed this part of the documentation completely, I guess. This works and works very well when the RD server is in the same LAN as the coova controller.

I moved the RD server to a private IP and having radius connectivity over VPN, keeping only the coova controller in the LAN, but I get an error "Latest challenge could not be fetched".

Note, I have the same SSL cert in my coova config as the one on the server. I'm using a LetsEncrypt certificate for the domain.

Is this expected behaviour? Or am I doing something wrong here?

• Armin Dzubur

Armin Dzubur - 2022-05-17

Hello, Thank you for resolving the issue with Browser Version 100 (Chrome, Opera, Firefox)
    With this, I can confirm that the best-selling router RUT955 from the manufacturer Teltonika with the latest firmware can be set to work with RADIUSDESK, and now the latest version of the Chrome browser can be used to log in. (For other forum followers, just to note that the problem occurred 2 months ago when wireless users logged in to RADIUSDESK with the latest version of Google Chrome. Other browser versions did not have a problem logging in until they upgraded to version 100)
    Thank you

Last edit: Armin Dzubur 2022-05-17